autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying question?

Hello all, I've been really trying to focus on minimizing self-imposed paint defects and am curious about something.

I watch guys like Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC) use a wet drying method after washing but then have no issue using a dry MF to clear product after polishing or claying. Is the assumption that all dust/dirt/contaminates are off the paint and therefore wiping the MF will have no ill-effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying question?

Quote Originally Posted by daBoss302 View Post
    Hello all, I've been really trying to focus on minimizing self-imposed paint defects and am curious about something.

I watch guys like Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC) use a wet drying method after washing but then have no issue using a dry MF to clear product after polishing or claying. Is the assumption that all dust/dirt/contaminates are off the paint and therefore wiping the MF will have no ill-effect?
    IMO it's all marketing hype.. You don't need a drying aid after a wash in order to prevent scratches. A good quality microfiber waffle weave or any other specific drying towel won't instill scratches even if used dry. [to dry a vehicle]

Post Thanks / Like

I am not much of a drying aid fan either and do not like using any products with my drying media.

I can see using something if you have an issue with water spots. If you want a slightly damp microfiber then just wipe the glass first.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I try to use a towel as least as possible when drying, blowing the car dry is really quick and doesn't scratch the paint, no drying aid needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb5450 View Post
    I try to use a towel as least as possible when drying, blowing the car dry is really quick and doesn't scratch the paint, no drying aid needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I do as well. I always use a small electric leaf blower and I never have to touch the car to dry it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    IMO it's all marketing hype.. You don't need a drying aid after a wash in order to prevent scratches. A good quality microfiber waffle weave or any other specific drying towel won't instill scratches even if used dry. [to dry a vehicle]
    Agree also a watersprite chamois.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of the damp drying towel, but I don't think you need a special drying aid. Any quality detail spray, waterless, or diluted rinseless works well. Remember if you're outside you might get some dust blown on the car as you're drying, also hedging against a missed spot while washing.

If you notice, Larry pretty much uses ~320 gsm terry towels for everything; I've never seen a video where it looks like he used a special cloth except for glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Damp Waffle Weave method is what I use and I do not us any drying aids. IMO this is the 2nd best method to drying your ride (blow drying is #1). But where I live, a leaf blow dryer is frowned upon.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I like to use a few sprays of drying aid on the towel, just does something for my brain to make it think I'm adding a little extra layer of protection. Sounds like I'm in the minority in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker92 View Post
    This is what I do as well. I always use a small electric leaf blower and I never have to touch the car to dry it.
    While I've found this works great for the first 2 or 3 washes after a car has been freshly detailed and waxed/sealed, after that water starts to stick to the paint more and blow drying becomes less and less effective. Have you found this to be the case? If not, I wonder if the water composition makes a difference in how easily it rolls off the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast