autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Efficient cleaning of coated wheels?

I'm about to coat some wheels for the first time with McKee's 37 Wheel Coating. I'm reading that this makes them super easy to clean, with regular car soap being sufficient for most cleanings.

As part of my continuing quest to make my weekly car washes better and easier, I'm thinking about how I might clean coated wheels during the 2-bucket car wash process.

So far I have two ideas:

1) Get a 3rd, smaller bucket, and when done washing the car pour some of the "clean bucket" soap solution into the smaller bucket, then use a dedicated wheel brush/sponge. The disadvantage to this is the time taken to clean the wheels - the water beads will be starting to dry on the vehicle paint especially on warmer days. I suppose I could wash the wheels after completely drying the car. That would be different...

This is extremely economical because I'd only be using leftover soapy water that I'd pour out anyway.

2) Mix up some soap solution in a spray bottle and use it just like I would use a wheel cleaner, at the beginning of the wash. I wonder how well the soap would work with the atomization of a spray nozzle.

What do you all do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Efficient cleaning of coated wheels?

or could use a detailing spray or waterless wash after washing the car to remove water run off and grime... that may eliminate the need to dry either the paint from washing the wheels or the wheels from car washing.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash my wheels first, any hose spray or cleaner that gets on the paint can be taken care right away, I don't have to be upset because my paint was freshly cleaned.

My wheels are coated with Uber. To clean them I use a solution of Wolfgang Auto Bathe and water mixed in a spray bottle. I simply spray on the soapy mixture and clean my wheels as if it was a dedicated wheel cleaner.

If I do a bucket wash I have 3 buckets, two for the car one for the wheels/tires. I have the wheel bucket filled with water and a little bit of Uber rinseless wash, maybe 1/10 of an oz. my brushes seems to soften up quicker, and this adds a little more lubrication. I let my brushes soak in that bucket for a bit then use them on one wheel. I rinse the brush with the hose then put it back in the bucket. I repeat for all wheels.

If I am doing only rinseless or WW I have two buckets one for the Gary Dean method, and one for the wheels and tires same approach listed above.

No mater what method, I start with the wheels and tires first, it seems like I can spray water on the wheels and not have to be overly careful about overspray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas. Thanks.

While I'm at it, has anyone had any trouble with the results of a coating on textured parts of a wheel? These OEM wheels from the 90s are in like-new condition and although they're clear coated, these textured looking areas do actually have a textured feel to them on the surface.

Efficient cleaning of coated wheels?-20170416_145734-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

What I do weekly is use a waterless wash. McKee's N914 works great at that.

I do have a dedicated wheel bucket with various brushes. I can't recall the last time I used it as I do mainly rinseless washes.

Soap and water is all that is needed. A deep cleaning every now and then works well.

Coated tires help as well. At least for me.