autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction questions on my G37

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section.
    Have been lurking for a while but finally decided to join as I am planning on doing some paint correction but I'm having a difficult time deciding on products and the right process. I feel like every article I read or video I watch the person may have a different process so I figured my best bet would be to post and hope you guys can help me better. Most of what I will be correcting are clear coat scratches/scuffs and# Swirls. I will also be hitting rock chips with paint from the dealership, none of which are past primer. Although there is 1 scratch that is a bit more serious which I will include a picture of.
    So what I currently plan on buying:
    Buffer:
    Polish:
    Wax:
    For the rock chips:
    I already have various sandpaper, sanding pen, Meguiar's claybar, alcohol.
    I am a bit iffy with ordering the chemical guys stuff as there are so many mixed reviews ranging from trash to amazing.

The first picture is of a deep scratch down to primer with a paint chip down to bare metal with rust.

I really appreciate any advice and recommendations. My car is covered in water spots so it's much harder to see the other scratches but I will post more when I get better lighting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint correction questions on my G37-20170405_091829-jpg  
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 04-05-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Links to Amazon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction questions on my G37

My advice would be not to use the sandpaper or sanding pen (unless it's one of those to remove the rust from your chips/scratches in prep for touchup paint). There are just too many threads that start with "I was trying to sand out some scratches..." Polish your paint, fill in your chips and deep scratches carefully with the touchup paint (usually dealer touchup needs to be thinned down a little for best results, invest in some small brushes or the fuzzy touchup applicators which are actually some sort of eyelash makeup applicator).

Sanding clearcoat paint is not like sanding a piece of wood or your metal deck furniture.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    My advice would be not to use the sandpaper or sanding pen (unless it's one of those to remove the rust from your chips/scratches in prep for touchup paint). There are just too many threads that start with "I was trying to sand out some scratches..." Polish your paint, fill in your chips and deep scratches carefully with the touchup paint (usually dealer touchup needs to be thinned down a little for best results, invest in some small brushes or the fuzzy touchup applicators which are actually some sort of eyelash makeup applicator).

Sanding clearcoat paint is not like sanding a piece of wood or your metal deck furniture.

Yea I was planning on using the pen to sand the rust out of the little chip, I have no experience sanding a cars paint so really I was trying to stay as far away from that as possible. Although, I do have some experience with a DA and really look forward to working with the PC 7424.

So would you recommend this :
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LV...uch+up+brushes
    And forget about the little touch up pen? Or can that be useful for the rock chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Those touchup pens tend to have a large tip, and they tend to dry out if you use them more than once. Yes, those micro-applicators is what I was talking about. It's usually good to have several tools in the arsenal for touchup, I hate doing it, it never comes out the way you want it to. The good thing is a wipe with a little lacquer thinner and you can do it over.

PS You're likely to get in trouble if you keep posting those external links.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Those touchup pens tend to have a large tip, and they tend to dry out if you use them more than once. Yes, those micro-applicators is what I was talking about. It's usually good to have several tools in the arsenal for touchup, I hate doing it, it never comes out the way you want it to. The good thing is a wipe with a little lacquer thinner and you can do it over.

PS You're likely to get in trouble if you keep posting those external links.
    Got it, no more external links. Hopefully I can get it as good as possible so that I'm the only one that can notice it. As far as the rusted chip goes, what would be a good primer that I can use after sanding th e rust out? Should I be looking at a liquid primer or a spray primer?

I think Ill give the CG v-line a shot. Going with the 4oz sampler pack rather than 16oz.

Post Thanks / Like

You will regret buying those polsihes and products.

Their are many superior polishes and products available.

Everyone of those polishes and waxes you mentioned I purchased and threw out.

Take a look at 3d/hd and AG has kits with these too:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

This is a great kit and gets you started off right.

http://www.autogeek.net/pc-3d-hd-flawless-kit.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    You will regret buying those polsihes and products.

Their are many superior polishes and products available.

Everyone of those polishes and waxes you mentioned I purchased and threw out.

Take a look at 3d/hd and AG has kits with these too:

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

This is a great kit and gets you started off right.

Porter Cable 7424XP & 3D HD Flawless Finish Kit

Hmm that is a very nice kit and it'll save me a few dollars not having to buy the products separately. Would I need a lubricant for the pads or do i apply it dry? Also would the HD cut be too aggressive for Swirls? If that'll work I think I'll definitely start off with that kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewm View Post
    Hmm that is a very nice kit and it'll save me a few dollars not having to buy the products separately. Would I need a lubricant for the pads or do i apply it dry? Also would the HD cut be too aggressive for Swirls? If that'll work I think I'll definitely start off with that kit.
    You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run by not purchasing the CG kit. Check out the kits on AG - you will get much higher quality products. custmsprty has linked some great examples.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run by not purchasing the CG kit. Check out the kits on AG - you will get much higher quality products. custmsprty has linked some great examples.
    I was literally just checking out the 7424 kits and I must say I can't believe I would have even considered buying the kit on Amazon, there is some kits on here with quality products for about the same price as the Amazon 7424 kit while it comes without any products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewm View Post
    There are short vidoes availble on each 3d/hd polish product on ag

PS I detailed that BMW

2015 BMW 435i Meets HD Speed & HD Poxy

IMHO these are the very user newbie friendly products. I love the entire hd line of products and have most of them.

To answer your question, this is a journey of learning. Their are way to many variables to give a yes or no answer.

The most important thing is to always do a test spot and start with the least aggressive approach.

This is an excellent example of that approach. Read my opening post on this show and shine PS Adapt is discontiued, HD Cut + replaced it.

2014 Nissan 370 Z Griots G21 HD Adapt 7 HD Poxy

Stick with one line of products and learn to use them well and learn how they work with different pad combos. Their are hundreds of posts on this forum if you search hd product etc.

Mike Phillips has gazillions of posts on here with amazing instructions if you search under his name.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast