autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bad Idea?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad Idea?

I've been shopping for a car for awhile and had come across one that had some sort of mold issue. It looked like maybe a window was broken or something similar and moisture had gotten inside. I live in a really wet area and had this happen to my own car when I left the door open a crack (handle wasn't working), but only for a few weeks so it wasn't that bad. Assuming the frame itself is still ok, how horrible would it be to clean? The smell inside is pretty bad and the seats look gross, but not moldy persay-just discolored. Most of the problem is in the back half of the car too, not the whole thing. I'm thinking about it simply because it's been sitting on the lot for quite some time and I'm pretty sure I can talk them down to a ridiculously cheap price. The car runs fine and nothing else seems to be wrong with it, although I didn't have my mechanic buddy check it out yet.

Mind you, I am NOT a pro, I've only detailed my own cars and only have basic tools (cheap extractor, steamer, pressure washer, Folex, etc). I'm asking because I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, I just came across another ad for it and started thinking, which is dangerous. :P I may be able to just replace the seats themselves and tackle the carpet, too. How would one tell if the damage is overly extensive? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad Idea?

Personally I'd pass. There's always another vehicle out there somewhere and regardless of cost, it's priceless compared to having to deal with that.

That said, if it's ridiculously cheap, just gut the materials impacted and buy them over from pick-n-pull locations. All depends on how much sweat equity and money you want to put in it. My car, my money, I'm looking at replacing all the impacted materials vs another car.

Sorry I have nothing really to contribute other than my opinion.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the key is price. If you get it that cheap you can replace seats and carpet. I'd ask if it's possible to pull the rear seat to look underneath. Also you can pop off the door sill and raise up the carpet to see under that. If the insulation under the carpet has gotten wet and is moldy you'll want to replace it. If the foam under the seat is nasty and moldy, replace the whole seat. Oh yeah, check the headliner too. If there was a sunroof problem you'll see damage there.

Post Thanks / Like

With the health hazards from multiple
    mold genera being present in the vehicle;
    and the costs for total remediation of these
    numerous mold species; then, IMHO:

It would hard for me to justify the
    purchase, or even a gifting, of such
    a mold (don't forget about the rust)
    encrusted vehicle.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch it for any amount of money. My wife suffered for years with reactive airway disease that was caused by working in a sick office building. A car can be worse, don't risk your health on a cheap ride.

They may be trying to sell you a car that was in a flood, and the mold may just be the tip of the iceberg. Mechanical problems are likely to follow.. If nothing else, it would be interesting to see what kind of answer they give you if you asked for a signed document certifying that the car was never in a flood, or any other condition resulting in partial submersion.

Post Thanks / Like

If the price is right and you are mechanically inclined I would go for it. You most likely need to remove the whole interior, remove and replace the carpet and carpet pad. If the seats are perforated leather there is a good chance mold is living inside in the foam so that would all need to be replaced as well. It really depends on what kind of deal you can get on the car.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Like BlackMDX, I wouldn't drive that car even if they gave it to me for free and paid for the gas the entire time I owned it.

A couple years ago I rented an apartment that had a mold issue. It seemed minor at the time, but within 6 months I was noticing serious health issues. I moved out the day my 1 year lease ended, and have gone through the worst health issues of my life, which are still lingering. At one point I seriously thought I was going to die any day. I went from running 3k a day to barely being able to walk up a flight of stairs.

The mold attacked my immune system and I had symptoms identical to fibromyalgia. It then totally messed up my digestive system and I've become gluten intolerant. No breads or baked goods anymore.

I have probably spent $5k in medical bills and other associated treatments. I'd pay that much more again to be normal like I was when I first moved into that dump. So I hope they're knocking $10k off the price of your car.