autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very strange scratches after application of Opti Gloss and bungee cord contact

Hello everyone- hoping I can get some help here. I installed Opti Gloss on my truck roughly 3 weeks ago. I went camping in it, and installed my canopy tent (pic below not mine but similar setup) where the bungee cord made contact with the truck's paint.
    Very strange scratches after application of Opti Gloss and bungee cord contact-mid-size-camper-top-tent-jpg

It left a mark as below:
    Very strange scratches after application of Opti Gloss and bungee cord contact-img_9158-1-jpg

Can anyone help me here in recommending a way to remove these marks?

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very strange scratches after application of Opti Gloss and bungee cord contact

I can help you. Regardless of what coating you used - you can not attach bungee cords that wrap around a car's paint and not cause scratches. Unfortunately, even in 2017 - car paint is super sensitive to scratches from anything that touches it. Next time, just stay in a hotel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very strange scratches after application of Opti Gloss and bungee cord contact

Anything that contacts the paint may cause marring, and even a coating isn't going to protect from that.

It's hard to tell from the picture what exactly it is, it could be something that will just clean off, or it could be marring in just the coating, or it could be in the paint. Have you tried anything? Detail spray, waterless wash, regular wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, in the future I'd pad the paint with MF towels where the tent's bungees make contact.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah, in the future I'd pad the paint with MF towels where the tent's bungees make contact.
    Or, you can use this: Tracwrap 4?x20? Temporary Protection Film - XPEL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I can help you. Regardless of what coating you used - you can not attach bungee cords that wrap around a car's paint and not cause scratches. Unfortunately, even in 2017 - car paint is super sensitive to scratches from anything that touches it. Next time, just stay in a hotel.
    Unfortunately there are no hotels where I am taking the truck. Thank you for your help.

To everyone else, I did a regular wash to the area. Anything else I should try? I am going to put XPEL in the wear areas (lesson learned the hard way!) but before doing so, I would like to get the scratches out.

Post Thanks / Like

Want scratches out? Get the polisher and lightly buzz the area. Increase aggressiveness as needed till
    you're happy with the result. And then re-coat.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    10,000 comedians out of a job and then you come along, LOL!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any recommendations on what to polish with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jessetoedtman View Post
    Any recommendations on what to polish with?
    Least aggressive first. Do you have a polisher?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast