autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glossmeter Testing: CQuartz Finest, Zaino, Carnauba?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    Smoothness begets Gloss.

I don't have that much confidence
    in LSPs making surfaces that much
    "smoother"---that's polishing's function.

Sure...
    Glossmeters can provide a specific
    measuring-service for the Detailer.

However...
    My priority would be in measuring
    the amount of Distinctness-of-Image
    (D.O.I.) that an LSP can/will provide.

Bob

Thanks FUNX650.
    It seems that Loach, FUNX650 and Todd Cooperider are all agree. Gloss isn't everything. I am not saying orange peel doesn't matter; however, if the least expensive objective tool for measuring Distinctiveness of Image (DOI) is the Rhopoint IQ at $4,795, I (personally) am going to have to live with a subjective measure of DOI.
    Lastly, (and I may be thinking of this differently than others), I think of gloss for the most part as a product I can order and have delivered to my door in a jar by AutoGeek (and others). I think of paint correction as a skill that can't be ordered from AutoGeek. What I am trying to understand is the answer to the gloss product question... but I understand that this is not the only question (e.g. paint correction, longevity, cost, etc...).
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGWCT View Post

Fourth, I completely agree with Todd's point below...
    "What does the Rhopoint IQ mean to the detailing industry? Change. BIG change! Not only will tools like this enable the industry to quantify results, but it will also push it into modern times where subjective claims are no longer acceptable."
    "Imagine for just a minute that you are the customer who is shopping for a high level detailer. One detailer you speak with tells you that it will look “a lot” better, and the other tells you that you can expect a 20-25% increase (for instance) in image quality…verifiable. I’m going out on a limb here to say you’re probably going to choose the one who can qualify his / her statements."

first thank you everyone for all great points,

geekGWCT this is why im thinking of getting the glossmeter, im trying to find different ways to set myself apart and then prove without a doubt that my statements/actions are correct. I think this would be a great way to show that

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    first thank you everyone for all great points,

geekGWCT this is why im thinking of getting the glossmeter, im trying to find different ways to set myself apart and then prove without a doubt that my statements/actions are correct. I think this would be a great way to show that
    To be clear, Todd's quote was specifically related to the Rhopoint IQ, an instrument that measures DOI, RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) and RSPEC (Specular Reflection ) in addition to Gloss Units.
    IMO Glossmeters are best used to simply measure the gloss of product used and not the talent of a detailer. That is... (I believe) that the worst detailer and the best detailer should get around 98 gloss units when using Dodo Juice Red Mist. However, the worst and best detailer would be very different in paint correction and thus would get very different RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) scores.
    Having said that... in Todd's article the gloss units on the Corvette went from 56 to 93.4 or a 67% improvement. I would think that being able to quantify gloss improvement would be worth a $133 investment in a Gloss meter but being able to quantify RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) might not be worth the $4,795 cost of the Rhopoint IQ. If I were in the detail business, I would think about giving customers a report on THEIR car with gloss units pre and post detailing with some sort of indication of how that number might decline over time (when they should think about coming back)... and find out if they care. If they didn't care, I wouldn't even think about buying a Rhopoint IQ to measure additional factors.

Gloss Meters and Automotive Paint | Esoteric Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGWCT View Post
    To be clear, Todd's quote was specifically related to the Rhopoint IQ, an instrument that measures DOI, RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) and RSPEC (Specular Reflection ) in addition to Gloss Units.
    IMO Glossmeters are best used to simply measure the gloss of product used and not the talent of a detailer. That is... (I believe) that the worst detailer and the best detailer should get around 98 gloss units when using Dodo Juice Red Mist. However, the worst and best detailer would be very different in paint correction and thus would get very different RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) scores.
    Having said that... in Todd's article the gloss units on the Corvette went from 56 to 93.4 or a 67% improvement. I would think that being able to quantify gloss improvement would be worth a $133 investment in a Gloss meter but being able to quantify RIQ (Reflective Image Quality) might not be worth the $4,795 cost of the Rhopoint IQ. If I were in the detail business, I would think about giving customers a report on THEIR car with gloss units pre and post detailing with some sort of indication of how that number might decline over time (when they should think about coming back)... and find out if they care. If they didn't care, I wouldn't even think about buying a Rhopoint IQ to measure additional factors.

Gloss Meters and Automotive Paint | Esoteric Car Care

so that's what I was planning, I already send multiple progress pictures to show proof of work, but id like to add pre and post glossy readings on the client sheet as well, ive been messing around with different methods but I think this is the best

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so that's what I was planning, I already send multiple progress pictures to show proof of work, but id like to add pre and post glossy readings on the client sheet as well, ive been messing around with different methods but I think this is the best
    Great. I hope it helps your business. Just FYI... if you are planning on using the Glossmeter I mentioned, shipping takes about six weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

You could just fib the gloss number ratings... It's not as if any of your customers have their own gloss meters. Lol. J/kGlossmeter Testing: CQuartz Finest, Zaino, Carnauba?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You could just fib the gloss number ratings... It's not as if any of your customers have their own gloss meters. Lol. J/kGlossmeter Testing: CQuartz Finest, Zaino, Carnauba?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or actually really care
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Or actually really care
    Change business name to Cruz Care Wash.Glossmeter Testing: CQuartz Finest, Zaino, Carnauba?lol.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Or actually really care
    Joking aside, I may be one of the few that take this statement with some validity. Without a point of reference, I don't think a client will have any understanding of what a 20% or 60% increase in image quality means. Without looking at specific examples and readings, I have no idea what the difference of 50 to 75 is, nor 75 to 90, and I don't expect a client to know either. That being the case, I think the majority of clients will still find more meaning and value in example work and general trust in the detailer.

It's certainly a tool to help the detailer advance their craft and nice to give the client something tangible, but I don't see it being a big marketing tool; too much education required for the client. The only way I see it being a 'game changer' is that it will literally change the one-uping game from how many layers of coating to how many DOI points.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that there is a lot of validity to that statement. Still if I were in the detailing business, I would try to find out.
    I completely agree that most/all of the customers won't know the difference between 75 and 90 gloss units. However, that doesn't mean that they would not place value in their detailer knowing.
    I have had many craftsmen in different areas do work for me over the years. I am comforted by the fact that they know more (often much more) about their craft than I do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast