autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed without correction needed

I currently have mckees 360 and HD speed that were given to me as samples. I am going to use the 360 on my SUV with a white pad because it needs some correction. My other car, Acura, is actually in great condition. The previous owner or the dealer must have had someone good detail the paint before we bought it because i cant see many swirls or any scratches at all. It is our garage queen and doesn't go to work and rarely drives in rain or any other elements.

I have already purchased the white pads to use with the 360.. should i wash and use the same white pads for this vehicle even though it does not need a lot of correcting? Or should i get another color pad ? I dont know how hard or soft this paint is so I need help on that too, which might dictate what pad to use. I am sure there is some correcting that could be done so I want to get some of the correcting out of it, just more on the side of polishing than having it correct. I will also clay bar before hand and will be using Optimum spray Car Wax spray when i am doing my maintenance car washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed without correction needed

Why even bother with HD speed on the second car if no correction is needed? To be fair I'm not a fan of AIO for my personal vehicles. I would say just use a light polish and then seal it with something.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I understand, but I hear it is a great AIO with long protection.. and i have it already. I am sure there is some correcting I could gain from it, plus i would rather one step than two.

Post Thanks / Like

White pads and 360/speed don't do a ton of correction to my ford paint which seems kind of hard. If I need correction when using 360 I use orange thin pro pads. They do a good job for light correction.
    Why bother with HD Speed on the other car? He has it, it gives good results, and saves time over doing a polish step then using a sealant.

5. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AIOs don't offer that long protection hence why for his garage queen car why not just use something dedicated to protection. Putting a layer of sealant doesn't take that long after polishing especially not if you machine apply something decent like hi Def paint sealant. This is for his own car not as part of a job where saving an extra half hour makes a big deal, unless he wants to use HD speed and bust out the buffer every month or so, that's all HD speed is gonna last.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I hear what your saying, and appreciate the advice. This will be my second d/a polish so I don't know what I'm doing yet and the samples were given to me so I already do have them and I'd rather try them out and see how they do and then adjust from there. I'm kinda nervous about it and would rather go light than overpower it and hurt my paint. Especially my wife's car! That's the reason for the white pads on the 360 too. I was going to apply both to test the correction and longevity and then get a wax/sealant to apply once i get some correction out of these and they wear out. I'm just taking it as a starting point to understand what each does and what I actually need from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Why even bother with HD speed on the second car if no correction is needed? To be fair I'm not a fan of AIO for my personal vehicles. I would say just use a light polish and then seal it with something.
    You think he should use a finishing polish rather than HD Speed because he doesn't need correction? Using Speed for paint correction isn't really it's intended use. HD Speed not only finishes better than most finishing polishes but it's easier to remove than anything else on the market. A cleaner wax would be perfect for him to use quickly over the paint with a white polishing pad to clean the paint, remove any fine marring the clay bar induces, and dramatically increasing gloss and slickness while leaving behind a paint sealant. He intends to top HD Speed with optimum spray wax every wash.

OP, I use HD Speed 2-3 times a year on my daily driver and top it with Optimum Car Wax monthly. I use HD Speed because it works on virtually every paint type, It's easy to use, the fine SMAT abrasives deep clean the paint and enhance the gloss, HD Speed doesn't stain trim, it's fantastic on glass, and you can top it with whatever wax or sealant you want. I know a lot of guys are against AIO's probably because they have mastered their craft and they don't like that there are products like HD Speed available that make it incredibly easy for enthusiasts to also get amazing results.haha.

Now days, Unless I'm applying coating or I need a product that provides more correction, I use HD Speed rather than a fine polish on nearly every detail.

9. Likes ChrisT, MikeC78, custmsprty, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks. Since Speed has less correcting in it than 360 anyway, should i stick with the white pads or get another color pad ?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on paint, I feel the white and orange pads will cover most aspects.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I know I won't need Orange pads on this car. I was thinking I could get away with less passes and go down to green pad? Or can I still use the white pad and dial back the amount of passes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast