autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

Joe, thank you for another informative review.

You mentioned using pressure washer, but I'm going to assume smushing/squeezing pads, is also a no-no (I'm guilty of doing this with applicators).

Also, I was hoping to see the 'after' of the microfiber pad. You're probably know what I'm thinking - off label for microfiber pretreatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Polishing Pads? | Stop DAMAGING Your Most Expensive Investment | McKee's 37 Polishing Pad Cleaner Review

Such a great write up. Thank you Joe!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe,now I can admit that I have been using a dedicated pad cleaner that is not cheap compared to APC. I have been using XMT and now Wolfgang pad cleaner and was afraid to admit that I believed that the pads felt and looked cleaner. There is always that wiseguy who will say that the same results will come from gas,paint thinner,milk,apple juice......Nice write up. I will try Nick's 37 next when I run out of Wolfgang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Some of the cheaper APCs on the market use more harmful chemicals, So they can have a attractive price point
    Just curious.....what do the more expensive APC's use that makes the APC more expensive?

Thank you for taking the time and effort to create this post. I agree with using polishing pad cleaners to clean your pads.
    The McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner looks like it works well.

Another option to consider (and personally use) is Wolfgang Polishing Pad & "Extender"
    Wolfgang Pad Werks Pad Cleaner & Extender

Cleans pads well and conditions them.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

great work joe. I've always just had two buckets each with two gallons of water and 1oz. of d114. One bucket it for my towels and the other is for my pads. At the end of the day I use Einszett 1z blitz APC @30:1

Not only is it highly concentrated, but it is completely safe and will not burn or dry out your skin like most APC/degreasers and it rinses clean without ever leaving any residue behind. While this isn't an effective cleaner for removing wax/silicone/sealant. I have found that even something as incredibly mild at 1z blitz @30:1 can be an effective product for removing compound/polish/paint residue because I saturate the pads with a foaming trigger sprayer and massage the pad for 15-20 seconds and rinse with warm water. For me, even mild cleaners are effective as long as the create a foamy lather when massaging the pads and most important rinse away easily. I have tried dedicated pad cleaners and they all seemed pretty harsh (especially blackfires).

When it come to removing waxes, sealants and AIO's I use 3d Towel clean in a spray bottle diluted 10:1 and I completely saturate the pads before throwing them into the washing machine at the shop and setting it to "handwashables." I always set it to warm/cold and always make sure the "extra rinse" setting is selected. Occasionally there is still some product remaining in my dedicated sealant pads that were used with WGDGPS and in those cases I will use OPC diluted 3:1.

While I'm sure they are strong enough to clean pads without alot of work, I just see no reason to invest in a dedicated pad cleaner when they are so ungodly expensive the spray versions I've tried are not sold in concentrated form which it's really difficult for me to justify spending $40-$50 on a cleaner that isn't capable of dilution.

Post Thanks / Like

the polishing pad cleaner does work great. i have two bottles. what kind of pads are those you have pictured with the flex. also what size?

Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced that the new McKee's Pad Cleaner is the old XMT pad cleaner. The vapor from the spray can take your breath away, so it is a bit harsh.

I was happy with the CG Pad Cleaner until I tried the XMT that I got with some kit.

This is also the best cleaner I have used to clean waxes and sealants out of pads too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I am convinced that the new McKee's Pad Cleaner is the old XMT pad cleaner. The vapor from the spray can take your breath away, so it is a bit harsh.

I was happy with the CG Pad Cleaner until I tried the XMT that I got with some kit.

This is also the best cleaner I have used to clean waxes and sealants out of pads too.
    really? i haven't noticed that yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we're all different and have different sensitivities and have had a different history of chemical exposures.

Perhaps I am using a sprayer that atomizes more than you? I avoid breathing it in like almost all detailing products, but every now and then I'll accidentally get a lung full. It has made me have a little coughing fit more than once.

No where as strong as that Megs DynaCone pad cleaner. You really know when you've accidentally breathed in some spray vapors.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Joe! Where can I get that brush you have pictured?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast