autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the pros/cons of "low profile" polishing pads?

I plan on trying some "low profile" pads but was wondering what the pros vs cons would be. I would be using them on a Boss 15mm DA. The vehicle is a well cared for 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8...black! I consider myself to still be a novice with machine polishing. Your thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are the pros/cons of "low profile" polishing pads?

Do you have the polisher yet?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

I've been experimenting with the low profile Meguiar's thin foam discs.

I really haven't noticed any cons, but the pros are that they are better able to maintain pad rotation. I alsoblike that they take up less room, thus allowing for more pads.

As far as Meguiar's specifically, their maroon cutting pad is EXCELLENT! It has a very porous, aggressive composition, and is relatively stuff, but does a great job removing defects.

Their yellow pad was a longtime favorite going back to 1998. The thin version allows for increased performance. I never realized how similar in consistency the yellow pad was to my normal polishing pad - the blue Buff and Shine.

I have the black pad too, but won't be using it until tomorrow.

I've done all my testing on an old school PC 7424. Future testing will be on the Duetto.

Overall, the thin pads feel precise, and smooth. Increased performance. I see this style of pad becoming standard in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear great things about the BOSS pads.

Maybe consider the pads and liquids that were designed around the machine? I'm always hearing great feedback on the BOSS system.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have the GG 6" DA and a 21mm from another manufacturer. Will be getting the BOSS 15mm fairly soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post
    I currently have the GG 6" DA and a 21mm from another manufacturer. Will be getting the BOSS 15mm fairly soon.
    What kind of pads do you currently run on the 21mm?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

I get some 5.5 inch pads from a local supplier here in Las Vegas. Gloss it is their name. That's also where I got their EVO 21mm machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thicker pads are beefier and more comfortable overall. Thinner pads feel firmer and give you an overall feel like you've got sharper power while polishing. Some what increased vibration with thinner pads, but if you're not using the best thick pads it doesn't really matter.

Nothing wrong with thin pads, it's up to your preference. I'd suggest trying the Boss pads to match the polisher. I've also had great results using the Meguiars burgundy thin foam discs and like that they're a tad smaller in diameter @5" if I need to get into intricate areas on the vehicle.

My favorite pads overall are Lake Country HD Orbital foam pads, they're not thin they're thick, beefy, largest diameter, IMO most comfortable, run cool, and do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post
    I plan on trying some "low profile" pads but was wondering what the pros vs cons would be. I would be using them on a Boss 15mm DA. The vehicle is a well cared for 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8...black! I consider myself to still be a novice with machine polishing. Your thoughts...
    you would be better off just getting the 5" boss pads that go with that unit. i have it to, the boss pads are already low profile they work great i have that unit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Thicker pads are beefier and more comfortable overall. Thinner pads feel firmer and give you an overall feel like you've got sharper power while polishing. Some what increased vibration with thinner pads, but if you're not using the best thick pads it doesn't really matter.

Nothing wrong with thin pads, it's up to your preference. I'd suggest trying the Boss pads to match the polisher. I've also had great results using the Meguiars burgundy thin foam discs and like that they're a tad smaller in diameter @5" if I need to get into intricate areas on the vehicle.

My favorite pads overall are Lake Country HD Orbital foam pads, they're not thin they're thick, beefy, largest diameter, IMO most comfortable, run cool, and do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone
    ya the thin boss pads work best with the unit, one thing that thicker pads help with is stalling, but if the thin pads stall u are supposed to use the innerflex pad which is essentially making a thin pad thick, the thicker the pad on a g15 the less polishing power or cut you have but if you put the innerflex pad on to an already thick pad it wont stall at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast