autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are the pros/cons of "low profile" polishing pads?

Thin pads transfer the mechanical energy from the machine to the paint better, giving you more opms and that ='s more correction power.

The cons of thin pads is they do not contour to any major curved/contoured edge. Making pad stall more likely as the pad is not thick enough to conform to the panel.

Thicker pads, are just that thicker = more weight for the backing plate to move, meaning the higher center of gravity that the pad adheres to the backplate. And that means the top of the pad kind of acts like a shock absorber and all of the energy doesn't translate as well as the lower profile pads, however they do conform better over contours and hard areas, as the pad has more material to conform to that particular panel.

I still use both, there is no right or wrong answer.

I have a saying "artist do not only just use one brush to create their masterpiece"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Thin pads transfer the mechanical energy from the machine to the paint better, giving you more opms and that ='s more correction power.

The cons of thin pads is they do not contour to any major curved/contoured edge. Making pad stall more likely as the pad is not thick enough to conform to the panel.

Thicker pads, are just that thicker = more weight for the backing plate to move, meaning the higher center of gravity that the pad adheres to the backplate. And that means the top of the pad kind of acts like a shock absorber and all of the energy doesn't translate as well as the lower profile pads, however they do conform better over contours and hard areas, as the pad has more material to conform to that particular panel.

I still use both, there is no right or wrong answer.

I have a saying "artist do not only just use one brush to create their masterpiece"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Abosolutely true!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just asked this same question at the last Cars and Coffee. I have a GG6 with a 5 inch backing plate. Separately, I asked both Nick from McKees 37 and Mike Phillips himself. And, they both said go with the low profile Thin Pro pads on the GG and Porter-Cable. Because they don't load up with product and they don't stall out. Bigger, more powerful machines probably don't have such issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,
    your reply seems to sum it up pretty well for me. Thank you and all the others who responded.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123