autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Looking for Advice

I am a Newbie to the detailing world and need some advice. I just bout a new 2017 Audi A3 Cabriolet in Tango Red. I really want to keep it pristine. I have been reading forums on all of the products and have found myself in overload. I am going to use the two bucket system but would really like product advice. I'm looking for a recommendation on Wash/Shampoo, Wax, Tire Dressing, Towels, and Interior products as well. Thanks for any advice you guys can give the New Guy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie Looking for Advice

Welcome to Autogeek.

To keep it simple, the McKee's 37 line is very good and reasonably priced. If you have any questions, Nick@McKees37 is the man who can take care of you.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've been researching the McKee's 37 line pretty hard. It looks to be a good step to get started and then work from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumX1 View Post
    I am a Newbie to the detailing world and need some advice. I just bout a new 2017 Audi A3 Cabriolet in Tango Red. I really want to keep it pristine. I have been reading forums on all of the products and have found myself in overload. I am going to use the two bucket system but would really like product advice. I'm looking for a recommendation on Wash/Shampoo, Wax, Tire Dressing, Towels, and Interior products as well. Thanks for any advice you guys can give the New Guy!
    Welcome to the forum! You will get a lot of differing opinions on products but I'll share what I've found works best for me.

Wash/Shampoo
    - for 2bm washes I really like CarPro Reset or Optimum Car Wash. Both fantastic products.

Tire Dressing
    - Optimum Opti-Bond mixed 1:1
    - CarPro Perl mixed 1:1
    - Griots Garage Black Shine Tire Gel.

Make sure you scrub the tires well with a product like McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator before applying the dressings.

Towels
    - do yourself a favor and get the Griots Garage PFM towels. Excellent for drying the car and for quick detailers, spray waxes or rinseless washes.

Interior Products
    - CarPro Inside for cleaning and Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber protectant.
    - Eagle Edgless MF towels are great all around towels also.

There are a lot of great products available on Autogeek - these are just a few of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Being newer myself I do recommend the system approach to start. It makes it simple when you find a great line of product that works for you. McKee's 37 seems to fit the bill.

I've wandered into a few different product lines but sometimes find my self spending too much on duplicate product. Take your time, read a lot, and watch the wonderful videos that are available. Never be afraid to ask questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Relatively new to this stuff too, I've found McKee's 37 brand to be a great mix of performance, ease of use, and price. Outside of that line, you can't go wrong with Meg's All Purpose Cleaner (APC) concentrate that's sold by the gallon here. A couple spray bottles with different dilutions (4:1 and 10:1) live in the cabinets in my mud room because I've found a ton of different uses for it. I also like Meg's Ultimate wash and wax, as well as the ultimate spray wax.

Towel wise, I have really come to like the cobra guzzler waffle weaves for drying, the miracle towels for removing wax/sealant and I just bought a few of the shine and buff's for waterless washes this winter. For wheels, door jambs, and other items that get grimy I use the costco bulk pack because I won't cry when I throw them away like the better quality ones sold here.

I just started a topic asking when a mystery box special would happen again. You have no idea what you'll get, but you get a lot for the price and I ended up with several products I would have never tried otherwise, and several other items That I couldn't decide which way to go.