autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Post Thanks / Like

Gloves?

So we are actually having a real winter this time around in the PNW....snow a few times and some pretty cold mornings.
    My question is this (geared towards the mobile guys): What are you using for gloves? I have several pairs of Mechanix wear, that are great until they get wet. Any thoughts on a good waterproof glove that'd be good to detail with?

Thanks..
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloves?

I have a pair of SealSkinz. I've had them a few years. One leaks a bit on the pinkie finger so I just deal with it for the time being. I think I paid about $50 for the pair at the time.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Check out some motorcycle gloves. Usually a quality glove is 50-200$. They will last you a long time and are very tactile for controls and several even have touch phone fingertips. (For use when gloves are not wet, while you are setting up/ tearing down, or driving)
    Klim makes some of the best. Agv has some good gloves, alpine stars has a ton of waterproof gloves.
    I am a fan of buy it once (klim)

Check em out at any rate. Id point you to REVZILLA, to see some reviews and they are very fairly priced.
    Buy 4 or 5 pair and keep the 1 or 2 you like.
    Free Return shipping
    Get Detailed!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out dive gloves. I got a pair from Amazon for about $20

Post Thanks / Like

Use boars hair brush pole and keep hands dry.I couldn't imagine washing cars in cold weather give you lots of credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Get you a pair of wetsuit gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

14" cuff PVC chemical gloves over a fleece liner for washing. Disposable nitrile under fleece gloves for everything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Bare or Nitrile Glove for Me if I'm using a wash medium/mechanical cleaning. I have nitrile gloves that have extended 12" cuffs. There is a certain ~feedback~ I require between my preferred wash medium/hands. Kinda like clay I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Bare or Nitrile Glove for Me if I'm using a wash medium/mechanical cleaning. I have nitrile gloves that have extended 12" cuffs. There is a certain ~feedback~ I require between my preferred wash medium/hands. Kinda like clay I suppose.
    I have thought about getting the 12" cuff nitrile's also, do you find they stay up without cutting off circulation?

I use the fleece when it is what I consider extremely cold (32 - 38 with no sun) just doing a "quick foam and mitt" to get the salt and grime off, with the neighbors staring at me funny. However I have found Nitrile by itself is rather warm as no cold air is getting in and warm body heat is trapped in.

Post Thanks / Like

Nitriles don't roll down on me, but it really depends I suppose on brands/fitment....

Even at 32, cold water is not really a issue, even with a wrist cuff nitrile glove.
    I generally PW rinse to get the muck off.
    The buckets I fill 50% with hot from the tap I fill another 7 qts of boiling hot water in each wash/rinse bucket....

By the time I rinse off the panels, I have a better feel of how hot I want the water (depending on the sun, salt, etc). Hot water gets things clean but also speeds up the salt corrosion process. It's a double edged sword I suppose...I then use the hose to add cold water to temper how much I want to cool the water down.

Finish washing and rinse thoroughly...as it always seems during the winter, the salt driven cars just keep on having salt residue leech out everywhere and needs 2X more rinsing than normal. Those that live in the salt belt should know what I mean...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast