autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

not saying im right, but that looks like a lot more polish then i usually put on. do you think im using to little? its easier for me to wipe off when i only use a little. by "a little" i mean about half that, u think i should be using more and is it different depending on what you're using?

also just curious how many cars you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Update to the update: Fast forward to this morning. I did some thinking and I decided I'd give something a try based on my past experiences with it helping similar situations in the past. Meguiars D114@1:128. I doused the entire hood with D114 from a spray bottle. Very liberal, and let it dwell for just a minute or so, not too long.

Sprayed it down with the hoze nozzle on "shower" setting...

Batta bing batta bang! Beadings back!Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

It's a good thing I stayed positive. I knew D114 would work. Just another reason why I love it.

After the rinse I sprayed it with some Meguiars D155 Last Touch, and I'm happy to report that things appear to be back on course and looking good so far.Mckee's 37 Paint Coating, revisited

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    im sorry i know this is an old post but im confused, why was the water not sheeting off and if you had to put the miguiars d114 then isnt that what was giving you the beading you were looking for? that doesn't change the fact that you didnt get what you wanted from the coating right?

Post Thanks / Like

That's correct. D114 leaves the paint squeaky clean, for lack of a better word. I use D114 sometimes as a pre rinse spray before bucket washes, and almost always it results in solid beading and even new found beading from protection you might've thought was much thinner until you see the paint for what it really is.

but its the protection product that's beading the water isnt it. not the paint? im still learning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    D111 contains gloss enhancers. Same as gold class. So what E2K saw was normal. Which is why I don't use either for coated paint. D114 removed what D111 left behind.

The coating looks great from those after photos after D114. .
    so you're saying the reason his coating didnt bead well is because he washed it with a gloss enhancing soap is that whats going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    so you're saying the reason his coating didnt bead well is because he washed it with a gloss enhancing soap is that whats going on?
    Yes. Shampoo Plus and Gold Class are very similar. Their gloss enhancing properties can mask the behavior of an LSP. Seen it quite a few times. This is why I stopped using either one.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly. In my book there's a fine line between products that alter the surface and products that are in the same ballpark as normal car wash soaps, or at least get let in the door without a big fuss about them. IMO this includes D155 Last Touch, ONR, Wolfgang Uber [which would suffer from just about the same basic benefits that Last Touch does, yet the Germans state on their description that it leaves nothing altering behind. It's even recommended as clay lube, as is Last Touch, which speaks volumes]

We have to keep in mind that soaps like Carpro Reset, Rupes Shampoo, even Megs Hyperwash, etc. didn't become the optimal choices in order to fully dial things in the way we have the option to these days..

People have loved their beading for decades, but that doesn't mean they were too good to use their Gold Class, Rain Dance, Blue Coral, Armor All, Turtle Zip Wax, and the rest of the old crap available back then before we had it as nice as we do in 2016.

If the Mckee's coating, or any other coating or sealant for that matter saw such great degradation from just washing it with "normal" car wash instead of using whatever boutique, high priced auto shampoo that only autogeeks would know about [as long as its basic and not containing waxes or in this case conditioners] then how good would coatings really be? Sure we're smart enough to follow certain rules, but what happens to the customer who pays top dollar for a coating and is bound to jack it up far worse than using something innocent like Shampoo Plus?

BTW, I intentionally used Shampoo Plus for a couple reasons.
    1. I've switched back to a larger bucket than I used to use before. 5 gallon now, which allowed me to test a proper dilution of my choice, which in this case was 2oz. per 4 gallons. I wanted to test and see if it made a difference. Obviously the results weren't what I was hoping for, and that's too bad because quite frankly 2. I'm tired of using 3D Pink and I miss Shampoo Plus for all my bucket washing duties. I'll give Carpro Reset a solid look, among other choices. But it's not so important right now as I do more waterless wash with Wolfgang Uber for the most part.

@Bob. Am I allowed to use Wolfgang Uber? I say yes indeed. Same ballpark as Last Touch. Now if we were talking something like M135 or D115, Ultima Waterless Wash & Wax, D156, or any sprays that fall into this ballpark, then I wouldn't think of using them. But since Both Wolfgang Uber and Last Touch don't leave behind a protective layer of wax, sealant, or anything hydrophobic to write home about, then I consider them harmless and wholesome to use over Any coating or sealant without worrying about altering my good initial base layer of protection.

Just my 2 cents.

i feel like when a product says it leaves behind a "slick" finish then that implies water beading? what else does slick mean? the way it feels? i dont think thats a quality people are looking for seeing as we try not to touch our cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Yes. Shampoo Plus and Gold Class are very similar. Their gloss enhancing properties can mask the behavior of an LSP. Seen it quite a few times. This is why I stopped using either one.
    what about the gloss enhancing properties of a quick detailer or waterless wash? i assume they would do the same? im glad im not a huge beading guy because i like all of those products lol

Post Thanks / Like

That's the whole reason of using d114 is to not leave anything behind

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    not saying im right, but that looks like a lot more polish then i usually put on. do you think im using to little? its easier for me to wipe off when i only use a little. by "a little" i mean about half that, u think i should be using more and is it different depending on what you're using?
    Starting off with a circle is how I "prime" my foam pads. After that I only use 3-4 pea sized dots. It just looks sort of weird because the Coating Prep Polish is sort of runny.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Eldorado, can you check the sheeting for us the next time you use D114 and nothing else. I get that it's beading. I'm curious how it sheets one any toppers have been removed. Maybe go strong on the D114.
    Sure, I'll try to do it this Sunday. We're having rain today and tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast