autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, these are the top 3 mistakes detailers make when performing paint correction

Top 3 Mistakes Detailers Make When Performing Paint Correction

I am sure not everyone will agree but I would like to see a shift back towards fine paint correction, treating paint correction like a craft that takes years to master and individuals that take great pride in the areas that are not so obvious. In my opinion, these are 3 major areas holding the industry back.

What do you think?
    Auto Detailing Atlanta | Modesta coatings | Paint Protection Film Atlanta
    http://www.detaileddesignsautospa.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Detai...a/152665034558

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In my opinion, these are the top 3 mistakes detailers make when performing paint correction

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
    Top 3 Mistakes Detailers Make When Performing Paint Correction

I am sure not everyone will agree but I would like to see a shift back towards fine paint correction, treating paint correction like a craft that takes years to master and individuals that take great pride in the areas that are not so obvious. In my opinion, these are 3 major areas holding the industry back.

What do you think?
    It won't happen, because of the DA polisher. Maybe back in the days when rotary was the only option, but those days are long gone.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In my opinion, these are the top 3 mistakes detailers make when performing paint correction

Three counter arguments:

•Depends what the customer is willing to pay for-would you do a 3 step correction for under $100?
    •Modern paints,compounds,pads have made multiple steps redundant-better results with fewer steps.
    •Just because technology has made detailing easier doesn't take away from the craft-embrace the change.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Zubair. It depends on the customer and what they want vs. the amount of work they are willing to pay for.

I'm not going to 2 or 3 step if the customer is not willing to pay me for my time. Of course this would be discussed before any work would be done.

And number 1, this should read something like "Not removing polishing oils before inspecting correction results". Decontamination is referring to removing bonded contaminates before the compounding/polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're educating your client as to what they are getting and what they are not getting, there is nothing wrong with not giving a 50 hour paint correction even if the car has defects that could take advantage of that. It's about framing things for a client, communicating on an elevated level and managing expectations.

If a client wants a 1-step AIO and are paying for a 1-step AIO with managed expectations, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But this article is striking on is the concept that paint correction is paint correction is paint correction. There are guys that cut corners and claim to have an elevated service. They are masking defects(and in some cases coating over fillers...wow) and then passing it off as an elite service.

Hope this clarifies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It won't happen, because of the DA polisher. Maybe back in the days when rotary was the only option, but those days are long gone.
    I like it better this way anyway. There's room for everyone. Anyone who doesn't want to take the time to learn will pay someone to do it, just like literally everything else. The barrier of entry is low in this profession because of the wealth of free knowledge and tools out there, as well as the relative easy learning curve(there is no inherent danger in buffing out a car except for paying to fix any damage you cause)

I guess I understand why people that make their living doing this would be irritated by new people swiping their business that don't "deserve it" or by armchair detailers that want to give out advice without much experience, but I don't think it's going to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
    What do you think?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Hi Jean-Claude,

I simply found it refreshing to see someone explain that polishing oils are an essential component of any quality compound or polish as they prevent the abrasives from simply scouring the paint.

I can't remember how many times some expert whined about fillers and lumping the polishing oils in as the same thing.

I think too many "experts" get so anal retentive about process that they forget the BIG picture is to make the paint look good.

Then for what it's worth, I consider polishing paint both a craft and an art form. I explain why in the introduction of my first two how-to books.

I know there's a few in our industry that disagree but that's what's so great about living in America. We all have a right to our opinions as well as a right to express them as long as we don't harm anyone or anything in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi Jean-Claude,

I simply found it refreshing to see someone explain that polishing oils are an essential component of any quality compound or polish as they prevent the abrasives from simply scouring the paint.

I can't remember how many times some expert whined about fillers and lumping the polishing oils in as the same thing.

I think too many "experts" get so anal retentive about process that they forget the BIG picture is to make the paint look good.

Then for what it's worth, I consider polishing paint both a craft and an art form. I explain why in the introduction of my first two how-to books.

I know there's a few in our industry that disagree but that's what's so great about living in America. We all have a right to our opinions as well as a right to express them as long as we don't harm anyone or anything in the process.

It's fair to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. As long as the customer is getting what they are told they are paying for and they are satisfied, I see a happy customer.

But with a major push in the industry to use products designed to fill, it's also fair for some of us to feel it is disingenuous to call intentional filler work or work without removing the oils that will mask defects "paint correction".

I didn't write any of the content with an intent to offend. It is just as you say Mike. We all have our opinions. I am voicing my opinion from an honest place of what I see, not as an antagonist. I'll let it all speak for itself.

It's a pleasure as always my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    Three counter arguments:

•Depends what the customer is willing to pay for-would you do a 3 step correction for under $100?
    •Modern paints,compounds,pads have made multiple steps redundant-better results with fewer steps.
    •Just because technology has made detailing easier doesn't take away from the craft-embrace the change.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast