autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Deionizer AND water softener....overkill?

This year I added a CR Spotless deionizer to help reduce a water spots issue I was having last year. I feel like it greatly helped, but wasn't 100%. The gauge reads that I need to add fresh resin to the deionizer even though I have only used it on about 25 washes (I don't even use it for cleaning wheels/tires/wheel wells). So I was considering adding a separate water filter or water softener system BEFORE the deionizer. I figured my well water was pretty bad, but I have to do something to help conserve the resin in the deionizer since it is so expensive. Do you guys feel like this is overkill or is there something else I can do? I was considering one of the filter systems from Autogeek btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deionizer AND water softener....overkill?

That won't achieve what you're looking for. The water softener will leave approximately the same TDS, and the same number of ions, as was in the water before (they will just be different ions, since the water softener is exchanging the hardness ions for sodium or potassium ions), so your CR will not last any longer (give or take). I happen to think 25 washes is pretty good.

You might want to look into Culligan etc. about renting a larger DI tank that they would exchange periodically. Might even be able to get them to leave you 2 so you change over and call them when the light goes out.

Post Thanks / Like

Shop around you can find cheaper resin. I don't want to get into trouble for mentioning the company

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
    This year I added a CR Spotless deionizer to help reduce a water spots issue I was having last year. I feel like it greatly helped, but wasn't 100%. The gauge reads that I need to add fresh resin to the deionizer even though I have only used it on about 25 washes (I don't even use it for cleaning wheels/tires/wheel wells). So I was considering adding a separate water filter or water softener system BEFORE the deionizer. I figured my well water was pretty bad, but I have to do something to help conserve the resin in the deionizer since it is so expensive. Do you guys feel like this is overkill or is there something else I can do? I was considering one of the filter systems from Autogeek btw.
    I'm on well water and its very hard. Honestly just wash in the shade, and be quick about drying the car down. A quick wax spray will clear up 99% of the water spots before they dry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoApollo View Post
    I'm on well water and its very hard. Honestly just wash in the shade, and be quick about drying the car down. A quick wax spray will clear up 99% of the water spots before they dry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Agreed only in the shade.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The best water softener I think is the Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener. I decided to buy it after checking a lot of information, and it did not disappoint me. Or, if you have a water softener company near your home, you can ask them to test your water quality before deciding which water softener is right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

The water softener uses minerals to soften the water. But you don't want minerals in your water which is why we use a de-ionizer to remove all minerals, including salt, from the water. I suggest your softener is not helping you.