autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Product make specifically for coating glass vs general paint coating that can be used on glass

Ok so I know they make rain-x and aquapel and so other high end glass coatings made specifically for glass. But are they better than say using a paint coating like pinnacle black label surface coating and others?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product make specifically for coating glass vs general paint coating that can be used on glass

I can chime in on the optimum gloss coat paint coating and glass coating. Optimum Gloss Coat can be applied to all surfaces including glass. Optimum doesn't recommend it on the windshield due to the abrasion of the wipers. Thus they recommend their glass coating for the front windshield which handles that abrasion better.

I would venture to say that would be identical across other manufacturers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product make specifically for coating glass vs general paint coating that can be used on glass

So as far as products that are made specifically for glass what product do you like the best?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would venture to say that would be identical across other manufacturers.
    Dr. G has said that Opti-Glass is specifically formulated to bond to silica (glass) vs. bonding to paint (which is what gives it the wiper resistance vs. say Optimum paint coatings). Have other mfr's stated anything like that? Taking it one step further, in one of the OPT podcasts, I recall Dr. G discussing how the chemistry of Opti-Coat (Pro) is different than other coatings.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hum interesting sounds like that's the best for glass. How do you like "McKee's 37 Glass Coating"? I was about to get that a few days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunglebush View Post
    Hum interesting sounds like that's the best for glass. How do you like "McKee's 37 Glass Coating"? I was about to get that a few days ago.
    Well, I don't know, that's why I was asking whether any other coating mfr's have stated that's the difference in the glass coatings. I don't have any experience with the McKee's.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Dr. G has said that Opti-Glass is specifically formulated to bond to silica (glass) vs. bonding to paint (which is what gives it the wiper resistance vs. say Optimum paint coatings). Have other mfr's stated anything like that? Taking it one step further, in one of the OPT podcasts, I recall Dr. G discussing how the chemistry of Opti-Coat (Pro) is different than other coatings.
    Nick would have to be the one to answer this question with regards to the McKee's coating. Gtechniq has a video on their glass coating which goes into more detail. I can't recall off the top of my head on their coating.

Quote Originally Posted by bunglebush View Post
    I have the DP version which is essentially the same other than the label and a longer working time. I did have it on my car for over 1 year and it was still going strong. I will mention that I am in California and there was little to no rain last year. I would use my wipers to remove the morning dew. I did re-coat the glass after a year.

I currently have DP Glass Coating on both of my personal cars, my brothers and my mom's. My dad's has opti-glass. Opti-Glass has been doing quite well. I do use opti-glass clean & protect on all the glass monthly to maintain either glass coating.

Out of these two coatings, McKee's is easier to apply. Opti-Glass is a bit grabby when applying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I do use opti-glass clean & protect on all the glass monthly to maintain either glass coating.

Out of these two coatings, McKee's is easier to apply. Opti-Glass is a bit grabby when applying.

That's good to know. Thank you.

BTW, how's the cleaning ability with OGC&P?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    BTW, how's the cleaning ability with OGC&P?
    It's not really a great cleaner--if your glass is very dirty I'd clean it with something else first and just use this product as a booster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast