autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Polish/pad selection for first timer using PC

As you can see the horrific scratches & swirls deep in the paint could use some help. Is it still possible to correct via Porter Cable, the right 6"pads, & appropriate product for the job? I'm looking at buying either the PC or HF's version to save some scratch (pun intended).

I've been a Zaino fan for past decade, but I'm open to whatever polish/compound will do the best job for this particular vehicle and my first shot with the PC instead of by hand. M105/M205? MEG'S ultimate compound? Menzerna? And Lake Country orange pads should be fine, yes? Thank you everyone for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/pad selection for first timer using PC

Might wanna give Megs D300 with their microfiber cutting discs a try. Always amazes me how well that combo works. Just gotta blow out/clean out/brush out microfiber disc after each section, gets matted down quickly.

Think about 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads on the PC as well.

Likely Menz FG400 on Cyan Lake Country Hydrotech pad followed by Menzerna 3500 on Tangerine Hydrotech might get ya there as well. Test sections will tell the tale.

http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-pads.html

Plan on around 6 of each pad to do the whole vehicle, switching to fresh pad every two panel or so.

Many options/combos will do the job.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second the 5.5" pad/backing plate recommendation. I've only used 5.5", and this is a widespread recommendation on the forums regarding free spindle style DA's (PC, GG, etc). They're much more efficient than a 6"combo for correction. If you're just spreading wax, not so much of an issue (aside from the fact that smaller size fits more places).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skcrival View Post
    As you can see the horrific scratches & swirls deep in the paint could use some help. Is it still possible to correct via Porter Cable, the right 6"pads, & appropriate product for the job? I'm looking at buying either the PC or HF's version to save some scratch (pun intended).

I've been a Zaino fan for past decade, but I'm open to whatever polish/compound will do the best job for this particular vehicle and my first shot with the PC instead of by hand. M105/M205? MEG'S ultimate compound? Menzerna? And Lake Country orange pads should be fine, yes? Thank you everyone for your help.
    You'll be fine with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish with an orange pad for compound and white for polish. Go with the Lake Country Thin Pads. As others noted, the 5.5" will spin more efficiently but you can get away with 6". I've done it.

Here's two that were even worse. Black van is ours that I corrected fully after deciding to keep it using the above Ultimate Duo. The Blue is a Honda so softer paint. I hit the Honda with an orange pad and HD Adapt and sealed it with Powerlock.

Good luck!

Before - way worse than yours

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0uzveciz.jpg

After just Ultimate Compound

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psftibmo2x.jpg

Hammered Honda Before HD Adapt:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psrsy4lcgk.jpg

After:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...psgi1opawy.jpg
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I've set up a few people with the following to start with their PC

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound / Green Buff and Shine pad
    Meguiar's Ultimate Polish / Blue Buff and Shine pad
    Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax / Red Buff and Shine pad

I also had them get a couple Buff and Shine microfiber cutting pads, in the event the green foam isn't working fast enough.

These are great utilitarian products, capable of delivering professional level results. Most of my personal jobs are done with those products, which is why I recommended them to the beginners who approached me.