autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Plan of attack - Black 2013 S63 AMG Sedan - Thoughts?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice/critique on my current plan of attack on correcting and then coating my 2016 S63 Sedan. Currently the car needs a very light paint correction due to the dealership washing the car after service as well as parking it overnight at a hotel where the sprinkler system nailed the hood. There was light hard water spots which I mitigated with a quick rinseless spray while out of town but it doesn't appear to have really etched the clear.

I recently took advantage of the 25% off + free shipping sale to up my current aresenal of products and here's what I currently plan to do use:

Stage 1
    Clean wheels and tires (Sonas / McKee's 37 Tire Cleaner & Rejuvenator)
    Prep the car with foam gun (Chemical Guys Extreme Maxi Sudds)
    Two bucket wash

Stage 2
    McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover
    Clay bar
    Rewash and dry the car

Stage 3
    Light polish - LC Orange or White flat pad via a Flex 3401 (I've found so far that the Menzerna PF2500 works awesome on this car's paint but I have several other products to use as well)
    Since I'm not going to seal the car (usually use the Menzerna Poly sealant), I'm trying for the first time the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep instead of an IPA to clear the car of any polish/oils/etc

Stage 4
    Apply McKee's Paint Coating (first time every coating so I wanted to try the most user friendly and cost effective option, although I was leaning towards the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic)
    This is a LARGE sedan so although I have more than enough product, I'm thinking I'll give it two coats, at least 1 hour apart to ensure I get 100% full coverage

Stage 5
    Need HELP on this part:
    This car has a full (mostly 90% of the roof) panoramic glass roof). Because it's glass I'm not sure if I should attempt to polish it. So far it doesn't looked to be swirled up.
    For the roof should I then treat it as a normal window/glass and use McKee's 37 High Performance Glass Restorer, which I plan to use on the rest of the glass
    Follow that up with McKee's 37 Glass Coating
    Coat the wheels with McKee's paint coating x2 rounds
    Dress the tires (I'm torn here because I've used Optimum wheel gel which has always looked great and picked up the McKee's wheel coating product (it's a small bottle, not a gel) and it sometimes just doesn't coat right even after using McKee's tire cleaner and a brand new applicator.

So far that's my plan of attack this weekend. I'm now wondering if I should do stage 5 before I apply the ceramic paint coating. Although the glass coating is a thicker coating that you apply and buff off, I can see the potential of having some of the residue hit the paint thus causing unwanted results. So maybe do windows first, then Wolfgang Perfekt Prep, then apply paint coating?

Any additional steps, changes or steps, less steps, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I picked up 12 of the Green edgeless microfiber towels plus additional 480gm edgeless towels just for the paintwork in addition to my current stack of microfiber towels (though not edgless).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plan of attack - Black 2013 S63 AMG Sedan - Thoughts?

Sounds like a big project.for the iron remover becareful of the anaodized trim and would not spray on brake components.for the polish my personal opinion would of been optimum polish followed by opti gloss coating.for the wheels gtech wheel armour, for the tires wets as you can stack sheen if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramiclear read up on it,sure your car has it.

Post Thanks / Like

By all means do a test spot re iron X near callipers but in my case they were OK on a 2015 S class... The only mercs I have had issues on are the rear callipers on A, B, and GLA .. They are uncoated and stain black.... Be careful....
    Recent C class and up seem to be fine...
    Also if you get it on the rotors mice the car forward and do the whole rotor face... To avoid any possible impact to braking feel.. (I had this happen on my C class AMG, Brembo rotor... )..

Enjoy.. Plan of attack - Black 2013 S63 AMG Sedan - Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok stupid question but what are you guys talking about here with the brakes on Mercedes? Is this caution solely because of the Iron X? Or would this also apply to other chemicals/wheel cleaners? I've always sort of been under the impression that DUB Wheel Cleaner would be safe in situations where other wheel cleaners might not be.. Would the DUB mess up those brake components as well? What about Megs D143? Wheel Brightener? Brown Royal?
    Thanks in advance for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I can skip using the ironx on the wheels and just focus on the cars paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Big time money on that car for any brake components.why take that chance,use a non caustic wheel cleaner.This lady tried to get me for 4 rotors on her porche.She didn't understand why her rotors were rusty looking after the detail.I simply explained to her that the rotors are raw material.she wasn't buying that,thank god I never heard from her again.

Post Thanks / Like

Acidic wise megs diluted.Brown royal is a non etching apc.If I need acid on rough wheels,I will spray the rotors with some aerosol silicone to mask the rusted look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadwell View Post
    The only mercs I have had issues on are the rear callipers on A, B, and GLA .. They are uncoated and stain black.... Be careful....
    Which wheel cleaners are safe to use on those vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like

I use purple rush in a 55 gallon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast