autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Customer states I scratched her tint cleaning the windows

Hello autogeek. I use preminum microfiber towels from chemical guys. I have the blue waffle towels that i use for windows along with the streak free from chemical guys. I did a ladies 428i coupe the other day, nice car, lady seemed to be a little off...Anyway while i am there she makes several comments about my detailing rig and the "pretty nice dent in the front" (barley tapped one of those parking poles in a nissan titan it dented the chrome a little not much at all) anyway she says "oh i can tell youve done this before" making me feel great about my work. The next day probably 34 hours later she calls me back, i missed the call as i was doing another vehicle, called her back she says "hey buddy boy you put a nice scratch in my tint" i replied with well i doubt it was me as all my products are new and advice her i can come check it out in about 2 hours. She says thats fine, texts me back a hour later and says dont worry about coming over i dont want to argue with you. What would you guys have done? i think she was full of it, claimed the tint was new i said if its that new then call the tint shop. advice please. have you scracthed tint before in your day? she says its horizontal not vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer states I scratched her tint cleaning the windows

Inspect the vehicle carefully prior to any details, inside and out while the owner is there.

MANY people have no idea they have scratches and other defects since they do not hand wash their own vehicle.

Take high resolution before pics covering the whole vehicle. That serves two purposes: One, provides before pictures for your portfolio. Two, it allows you to document defects quickly. Will it cover you in all cases? Nope...but it sure doesn't hurt and may very well help.

In particular, when cars are old and neglected there can be issues, but even newer nice looking cars can have issues. I had an Audi S4 with a loose plastic panel insert once...nearly fell out with the slightest touch. Another car had side mirrors that were BARELY staying in place via magic.

Check out Mike Phillips Vehicle Inspection Thread.

After people get their vehicles detailed they will look a lot more closely at things. That's natural. It's up to you to have documentation on any damage/defects PRIOR to working or you're gonna pay for it whether you did the damage or not.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

i told her to freck off after she texted me and told me not to worry about it bc she doesnt want to argue with me. she has no idea i could have shown up called a tint guy and paid all of $40 to have a window retinted but she wanted to act like she was gods gift so i sent her on her way. if i honestly felt i did it i would have replaced it but not wearing any jewelry and using a dedicated window towel i figured it wasnt possible. owell customer lost...meanwhile im complaining about not getting customers lol well you cant please everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, you're somewhat new to the forum and have only been in business 5 months... My suggestion would be for you to take a few steps back and reassess.
    1.) Read all of Mike Phillip's posts/"Sticky's" in the How to make money detailing cars forum
    2.) Pickup and read Mike Phillips book "Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine"
    3.) Read Mike Phillips Post - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tion-form.html
    4.) Since you're in Florida, look at taking Mike Phillips Competition Ready 3 Day hands on class at Autogeek in sunny Stuart Florida.

Once you've completed all those steps, you will learn how to "mitigate risk". With out a detailed inspection, notes, and photos taken you have no ability to know if you did or did not put a scratch in the tint, and odds are you'll have to pay.

I take 30 minutes to an hour to do a VIF with a customer, I point out everything. I get all the ugliness out of the way... Like pointing out to a customer that his brand new (fill in the blank car) has had a section repainted (telling by the 800 microns reading on one section of the fender when the rest of the car is 110 - 140 microns and seeing that it hasn't been properly wet sanded...) I get all that out of the way and document it so there are no questions later, both inside and outside the car.

Do those 4 things I mentioned and hopefully we'll see more of your posts in the "Show-N-Shine" forum. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Really, you told her to take off? So much for referrals from her, but you can surely count on her for negative feedback.

Didn't you start two different threads today about not having enough business?

It's great advice what PaulG said too.

I recently did a 370Z and when polishing it I found the rear bumper had been repainted. I immediately stopped what I was doing and got the owner as I was at his house and showed him the area and that it had been repainted. All was good.

At the same token, not everyone has $1,500.00 burning a hole in their pocket to take Mike's class.

I knew I should have done that 3 years ago when it was $500 LOL.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly i dont have an hour to spend with the customer looking for defects. I arrive on location, i let customer know i have arrived, i inspect vehicle while waiting for customer. if i find paint transfer or scratches, marring, etc i will let them know that it is there and what possibly i can do about it. yes it has only been 5 months but i held a detailing position for a company for years(coggin nissan). the scratch the lady was referring to based on her picture was half an inch long if i go looking for these scratches ill be there all day it already takes me about 4 hours to complete the referred to package. maybe next vehicle i will take the time out to do that, i had the mike phillps inspection sheet i only see it being useful for deep scratches, dents, things of that nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Really, you told her to take off? So much for referrals from her, but you can surely count on her for negative feedback.

Didn't you start two different threads today about not having enough business?
    I think my post above is definitive in helping Ken. With that said, custmsprty, you reminded me of when I was a young little Airman working my way up to the NCO ranks in the USAF, I had a Chief Master Sgt once who said to me, "Son, I can give you a million ata-boys, but one negative will wipe all them out....". He's right, one negative post from a customer will make others rethink your service... 4 stars is a 5 star loser. I still apply the folksy wisdom of that CMSgt today.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically, I was a C-141 crew chief back in the day. I remember when I got to my first duty station and they sent me to look for a left handed wrench. I just laughed at the guys as I was left handed and new it didn't exist. They took me under their wing that day and never busted my balls again. hehehehe.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yea i did tell her to frick off becasue 1. u cannot in a courtroom provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt that i in fact scratched your tint. 2. you have no documentation 3. you call me and say "buddy boy" i am not your buddy or your boy 4. she was looking for something to complain about when she started going over my truck. if i notice something like the bumper has been repainted or paint transfer etc i let the customer know. at the same time im not going over your windows with a magnifying glass looking for scratches. if i see your tint is actually cut where it is letting light thru or peeling then i will say something but this particular vehicle was a newer 428i coupe when she claimed i scratched her new tint. if its that new call the tint shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensprecision View Post
    honestly i dont have an hour to spend with the customer looking for defects. I arrive on location, i let customer know i have arrived, i inspect vehicle while waiting for customer. if i find paint transfer or scratches, marring, etc i will let them know that it is there and what possibly i can do about it. yes it has only been 5 months but i held a detailing position for a company for years(coggin nissan). the scratch the lady was referring to based on her picture was half an inch long if i go looking for these scratches ill be there all day it already takes me about 4 hours to complete the referred to package. maybe next vehicle i will take the time out to do that, i had the mike phillps inspection sheet i only see it being useful for deep scratches, dents, things of that nature.

You complain in two other threads that you don't have any customers but here you state you don't have enough time to properly inspect a vehicle.
    The VIF is where you build rapport with your customer, where you show them you're interested in providing them customer service... I don't take one hour to just inspect the vehicle, I get them to tell me about the car, what they like, what their expectations are... I focus in key words, like if they mention (i.e. the shifter knob feels sticky, or the windshield has water spots...). This is where I make my decisions as well, as to what I can do, and what I can't do and set expectations.

< i had the mike phillps inspection sheet i only see it being useful for deep scratches, dents, things of that nature> - There is an updated version of the form, and you do know that it is editable right? You can add or subtract things. Not doubting your skill from working at a dealership, but owning your own business and being an employee are two different things.

Interesting that you come here for help, yet rebuff it... Good luck! Take care!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast