autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about the Rupes MKII

Hi geeker friends,

I guess I'm beating an old dead horse with this question by now but I need to play catch up a little.

I've read all the great reviews about the 21 Mark II and I thinking of buying one. Now here's my question(s).

Is it really that significant?
    Can you use the same 5" backing plate?
    How about the washer mod?, Is it the exact same washer in terms of size?
    Does the washer mod on the Mark I make it the torque as the mark II?
    I see some people have both. Should I buy the Mark II and sell the mark I and get a 15mm Mark II?

Okay I know I'm getting a little crazy here so I'll just turn to my panel of experts.

Thanks.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about the Rupes MKII

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Hi geeker friends,

I guess I'm beating an old dead horse with this question by now but I need to play catch up a little.

I've read all the great reviews about the 21 Mark II and I thinking of buying one. Now here's my question(s).

Is it really that significant?
    Not sure what you are asking? The Mark II features a number of external upgrades such as a foot to rest the machine belly up, a redesigned head unit that is now solid with a soft grip, and an improved backing plate that allows for easier mounting/dismounting of the pads.

Additionally, the 15 and 21 MKII produce 30% more torque than the original versions, which is significant. While I won't reveal the results of our in-house testing, I would suggest you look at the reviews comparing the power of the new tools to existing offerings. The MKII, by other's words, sets the standard went it comes to power.

Keep in mind a lot of engineering and technical innovation went to making a tool with this much more performance that does not draw additional power from the grid. The end result... cool, smooth performance for hours on end.

Can you use the same 5" backing plate?
    The very first legacy ES tools used a small slot backing plate that will not fit other BigFoot tools. However, if it is a later model, large-slot backing plate, the answer is yes. However, the MKII features a new gray-ringed backing plate that maintain lateral attachment strength whilst dramatically reducing peel (mounting/dismounting) strength.

We don't recommend switching to a smaller backing plate because of tool vibration, but the above is an honest and correct answer.

How about the washer mod?, Is it the exact same washer in terms of size?
    To my knowledge.

Does the washer mod on the Mark I make it the torque as the mark II?
    No the washer mod does not improve the torque of either tool. However, it does free up some rotation on slower speeds and seems to be a mod that many people enjoy.

If the question is while a washer-modded legacy ES tool produce equal performance to an unmodded Mark II, the answer is not even close. MarkII will walk away, hand's down.

I see some people have both. Should I buy the Mark II and sell the mark I and get a 15mm Mark II?
    If you are asking me, the answer would be yes. The 15 MKII is universally the favorite power tool amongst RUPES employees and is significantly more powerful than the legacy ES 21. Plus it is balanced for smaller pads and is generally a sweetheart.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd.