autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic Techniques on Classic Cars? (and metal polish recommendations)

Classic Techniques on Classic Cars? (and metal polish recommendations)

I've been asked to detail a 70 something Chevelle, which I'm super excited about and honored to be trusted with.

I just got asked, so I don't have many details yet about paint condition (based on what I know of the person, the paint is probably at least in good condition), or what specifically the goals of the detail are, etc.

Would you treat a job like this in a classic way, with a multistage correction and a nice carnuba, or go more "new school" with an AIO and a sealant and possible wax on top?

I know a lot will depend on the individual car, I'm just asking as a generalization.

And what would you recommend for polishing and protecting the chrome bumpers and trim?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic Techniques on Classic Cars? (and metal polish recommendations)

You have to find out if it is SS paint or BC/CC first of all. Then the procedures can be given.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Will you be allowed to do a hose 2 bucket wash? My clients that have older (1960's down to 1910's) never like that much water used, so I do rinseless washes.

As for the polishing, it depends on what the customer wants and is willing to pay for. You are the detailer and will determine if a multi-step process is required, or it can be one-stepped. Doing a few test areas is very important to determine how much polishing will be involved.
    And if it single stage, you will probably use more pads, as they will load up with paint transfer.
    I treat the bumpers like the paint, but switch to a older 3" pad.

On a car like this I usually try to one-stop the polish, and apply a very nice carnuba (sometimes will put a glaze on first).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PandaSauce View Post

And what would you recommend for polishing and protecting the chrome bumpers and trim?

One technique I use...

Whatever my first machine step is to the paint, when I'm done with that step while my pad is still on my buffer, I use that pad and whatever chemical I was using for that step to buff out any chrome or stainless steel trim and chrome bumpers.

The idea being to make these components just as shiny as the paint while I have a broke-in pad on my buffer.

See step 7 in the list of steps I included in my article below,

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Mike Phillips

I've been asked to detail a 70 something Chevelle, which I'm super excited about and honored to be trusted with.

Where you at with this project?

Mike Phillips

For washing see this article,

How To Wash a Classic Muscle Car

I just got asked, so I don't have many details yet about paint condition (based on what I know of the person, the paint is probably at least in good condition), or what specifically the goals of the detail are, etc.

Would you treat a job like this in a classic way, with a multistage correction and a nice Carnauba, or go more "new school" with an AIO and a sealant and possible wax on top?
    Inspect the car first with the owner.

LOOK for thin spots that already exist. Look at any raised body line, edges and corners. It's common to have burn-throughs in these areas by all the people that have buffed out and detailed this car in the past 40+ years.

You want to identify these areas and point them out to the owner BEFORE you even touch the car.

Then take the least aggressive approach when it comes to the paint and for sure do a test spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't started yet, I did find out that it's a '63, the owner doesn't know what type of paint though.

Weather hasn't been great so I've been having fun on my weekends instead of detailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk