autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How much soap in foam gun?

In the next 5 days I'm hoping to have a brand new foam gun in my hands, and can't wait to put it to use. And therein lies my question, how much soap should you really put in the bottle? Specifically, how much Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss should I put in there. I want to be very careful with this one as I don't want to use too much and strip my lsp's. Can anyone give some answers to these questions, and any pointers you might have in using a foam gun.
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much soap in foam gun?

Snice it's Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss I'd put just a ounce or a half of ounce of soap after filling the bottle with warm/hot water, hence such soap makes a lot of foam though if not to your liking foam wise try Chemical Guys honeydew next time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Snice it's Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss I'd put just a ounce or a half of ounce of soap after filling the bottle with warm/hot water, hence such soap makes a lot of foam though if not to your liking foam wise try Chemical Guys honeydew next time
    Thanks for the reply!
    Why warm/hot water?
    Have you used a foam gun with CWG? Just curious as to whether you've tried it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Why warm/hot water cause it seems to enhance the foaming ability and yes I have used CWG numerous times before both with and without a foam gun and had nothing but great results with such soap

Post Thanks / Like

I used 2 oz of Honeydew mixed in with warm water. I won't use CWG as it does have the ability to strip so I stick to Honeydew! It smells amazing, rinses clear, decent cleaning ability oh and it smells amazing :P

The warm water improves the foaming ability and results in a foamier and more sudsy output.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that The hot water helps the shampoo dilute more easily so that you get a more consistent mix in the bottle, no soap globs. CW&G is prone to leaving trails when used in a bucket wash.

I would not worry about stripping any decent LSP with soap, it won't happen. CW&G is a great product for use in a foam gun, I use it frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Why warm/hot water cause it seems to enhance the foaming ability and yes I have used CWG numerous times before both with and without a foam gun and had nothing but great results with such soap
    Awesome! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    CW&G is prone to leaving trails when used in a bucket wash.
    I've noticed this when doing a strip wash. Always really bugs me...

Post Thanks / Like

You are talking about a Gilmour foam gun, a hose-end device, rather than a foam cannon for a pressure washer?

The Gilmour gun is a metering device which has 5 metering positions. If you have an idea what kind of dilution rate you want to use with your shampoo that will guide you how/if to dilute the soap in the gun. This also has to do with the viscosity of the shampoo, more viscous products will not draw (siphon) properly in the Gilmour gun.

For instance, for a thick soap that many people are familiar with, like Meguiar's Gold Class, IME it needs to be diluted. I dilute it 3:1 (waterroduct) and then use the middle hole on the foam gun, which results in a delivered dilution of 1oz/gallon. You can then adjust right or left to increase or decrease that dilution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You are talking about a Gilmour foam gun, a hose-end device, rather than a foam cannon for a pressure washer?

The Gilmour gun is a metering device which has 5 metering positions. If you have an idea what kind of dilution rate you want to use with your shampoo that will guide you how/if to dilute the soap in the gun. This also has to do with the viscosity of the shampoo, more viscous products will not draw (siphon) properly in the Gilmour gun.

For instance, for a thick soap that many people are familiar with, like Meguiar's Gold Class, IME it needs to be diluted. I dilute it 3:1 (waterroduct) and then use the middle hole on the foam gun, which results in a delivered dilution of 1oz/gallon. You can then adjust right or left to increase or decrease that dilution.
    Yes, I am talking about the gun. Thanks for the info!