autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Please, Poishing F-150 Platinum Non Coated Polished wheels

I am a Newbie with almost no experience in the proper way to clean/polish Ford's F-150 Platinum Uncoated Polished Wheels.
    Here are some of the products I have but.willing to purchase whatever is the best ,
    WOLFGANG MetallWork Aluminum polishing kit
    Black Label Surface,Wheel.& tire coating
    KLASSEE All in & High Gloss Sealant.

Would.appreciate any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Please, Poishing F-150 Platinum Non Coated Polished wheels

I would first clean the wheels and tires with cleaner of choice then I would clay the surface follow that by useing Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Aluminum Polish with a Terry cloth on hidden area first to see if you achieve the results you want if not then advance to Wolfgang MetallWerk Fine Aluminum Polish, and so forth till you get the glow you want next you want to protect your hard work with Klassee sealant then apply your tire coating lastly you may want to have 0000 steel wool around too for stubborn spots and once this process is done just clean the wheels weekly while adding a little spray wax when drying the
    Wheels to extend protection

Post Thanks / Like

Are you absolutely sure they are not clearcoated? The majority of factory wheels weather polished or painted are clearcoated.

Post Thanks / Like

No sir, I was Incorrect, the Platinum wheels ARE Coated. They appear dull now, and I'm still not sure how or what to use to bring the "Coated" aluminum shine back. Metal Polish doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

You should never use metal polish on clear coated finishes. Metal polish has coarse abrasives in it that will dull or haze clear coats. It may be the reason the wheels look dull in the first place.

A better course of action would be to treat your wheels like the paint on the rest of the vehicle. Wash, clay, and machine polish using medium to fine polishes. This will yield much better results.

Another possibility is that Ford meant for the wheels to have a muted satin sheen rather than a mirror polished look. Can you post a few pictures of your wheels?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

After damaging a wheel an an accident, I learned the Ford Truck wheels that look like polished aluminum are actually powdercoated in a quite realistic aluminum color. When I get scratch marks from my wheel brush and I'm able to polish them out using the same process I use for paint. Even when perfect, they're not as shiny as real polished aluminum. My truck is a Super Duty and Ford offers the same wheel in chrome, but not polished aluminum.