autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What polisher to purchase

Hello everyone
    I'm new to this forum so bare with me if this is posted in the wrong place.. Anyway I am in much need of some advice. I have recently purchased a 2013 Porsche Cayenne with 9400 miles the previous owner went thru the car wash all the time. I am left with a lot of swirling.. I also have a new 911 Carrera S,I would like to keep these cars in show quality shine. (No rids or swirls). I have a PC7424XP works very well. I'm an old school rotary guy, but I need something to remove swirls. Is a rotary the right tool or could you please help with advice on what to buy. I am using menzerna products and waxing with soviergn paste wax. I have 400,1000,2500,3500,3800.. I have heard a lot about griot and flex ... Sorry this was so long of post. Any input would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What polisher to purchase

If you are comfortable with a rotary there are some great machines today.

FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher, FLEX circular polisher, rotary buffer, circular buffer, FLEX PE14

DeWalt DWP849X 7 & 9 inch Variable Speed Rotary Polisher, rotary buffer, circular polisher, car polisher

However, you can certainly remove swirls with your PC XP, you just need the right combo of product and pads (looks like you already have the right products, with the Menz FG400, I'd skip the 1000).

If you want something in between you could look at a Flex 3401 (or the upcoming replacement), or one of the several available long-throw machines (Flex, Rupes, Griot's).

Just bear in mind that removing all the RIDS you have may not be feasible.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest the Flex 3401. Lake County foam pads and Buff & Shine Microfiber cut & polish pads with your current Menzerna selection will knock out the swirls.

The 3401 is a forced rotation machine. I find it very balanced and easy to use. It cut thru the dealer induced swirls on my Touareg (midnight blue metallic) with no issue. I just started using the buff & shine MF pads and find them awesome! The extra cut of the MF with FG400 cuts they swirls quick. Finish it off with Menzerna 3500 and a lake county white pad and you should be good.

Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer

Buff and Shine Microfiber Pads

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System, buffing pads, foam pads, polishing pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is true the cayenne is pretty much an everyday driver,I would like to keep it as nice as I can. I will look at the links you sent me. Thank you for all the Infor. Just wasn't sure if this is a specific reason for buying one over the. Like parts availability or better yrs of service etc.... Thanks again I'll start looking at the links. I did order a dozen LC tangerine pads, people seem to have had great luck with them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My car is midnight metallic blue also. Sometimes I think it's as bad or worse than black. Very frustrating, I use the two bucket method and wheels are always done separately. I find the old rotary's are heavy and I'm not 21 anymore. I'm just trying to find something almost in between them. I still want to take out swirls just don't need sore arms for the next 3 days

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 911 Carrera S View Post
    My car is midnight metallic blue also. Sometimes I think it's as bad or worse than black. Very frustrating, I use the two bucket method and wheels are always done separately. I find the old rotary's are heavy and I'm not 21 anymore. I'm just trying to find something almost in between them. I still want to take out swirls just don't need sore arms for the next 3 days
    The smoothest I have ever used is the Rupes. But I went from the Porter Cable to the Flex and my results were better and faster. I'm not 21 anymore either so comfort is key. Flex gives the power needed.

The midnight blue metallic is a color looks great when swirl free and polished up. I would encourage you to also check out coatings. Mine is coated now with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic, looks awesome and easy maintenance.

Coated with: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

2 bucket wash with: Wolfgang introduces a luxury Auto Bathe Car Wash

Or do a rinsless wash with: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash
    & 6 - 700GSM towels: Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I also purchased WG auto bathe and the wheel cleaner ,both seem awesome. The smell on wheel cleaner is not very pleasant tho...
    I,m very grateful for the advice. I am going with the flex is the new one out already?.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 911 Carrera S View Post
    I also purchased WG auto bathe and the wheel cleaner ,both seem awesome. The smell on wheel cleaner is not very pleasant tho
    Yeah the wheel cleaner smells crappy, but works awesome. It's a trade off I guess. I'd encourage you to checkout the WG Rinsless, I also use it as a Quick Detailer; very versitle product. It leaves a nice shine on the midnight blue metallic.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My Griot's G21 is vey smooth, I've been very happy with it.

Did this Z with it last month.

2014 Nissan 370 Z Griots G21 HD Adapt 7 HD Poxy

Note:I have the Rupes Mini, Duetto, LHR 15, G21 and GG6. For one all around machine the G21 fits the bill.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast