autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Neglected 04 bmw 545

Car has not seen a wash for over a year, I bought it 5 months ago and it's been in n out the mechanic shop all this time. I Am getting it back next week and I need it to get it back in good shape. I don't have access to a polisher or high end products do to recent budget decline from repair bills and baby on the way. Anyways the car out side and inside is very dirty. What can I get otc to make everything look like almost new? For paint outside I know I will not get the scratches and imperfections out without the proper tools, but I would like to clean it up best to my abilities. Here is what I have and please tell me what else I can use. For the paint of the car I have the fallowing. Meguiars color x, eagles nanowax, meguiars ultimate quick wax, poor boy natty blue. Meguiars gold class car soap. For interior I don't have anything, I've been told to clean the dirty leather seats with scrubbing bubbles and brush then seal it with a leather conditioner? For the hard plastics what can I use? The interior plastics have lots of scuffs and stains? Brushes or pads for the inside? Sorry for this long post but i never had a car in this bad of a shape! I would like to buy everything otc no online orders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Neglected 04 bmw 545

For the interior I would suggest you use an all purpose cleaner (APC) such as LA awesome found in most dollar stores or Zep citrus cleaner found at your hardware store to clean all surfaces, lexol leather conditioner is a good OTC choice for leather conditioner, also try looking into folex to clean your carpets also found in hardware stores lastly look around in the auto stores, hardware stores, etc and you may find assorted brushes, microfiber towels, and even applicator pads that can get you through a few details until money is more available

Post Thanks / Like

Would get more detailed responses, if you can share some pictures of the damage that needs cleaning up. GL.
    -Babar MUGHAL
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I am leaning new things everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

I will get some pictures when I pick the car up. The apc do I have to dilute them? Use a brush one door panels, consoles? Or just rag?i used rags the day I got it. But it didn't make a big difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DjbuddyPL View Post
    I will get some pictures when I pick the car up. The apc do I have to dilute them? Use a brush one door panels, consoles? Or just rag?i used rags the day I got it. But it didn't make a big difference?

The APC needs to be diluted for interior jobs. I have 3D Orange Degreaser, which can be diluted 1:10, and Chemical Guys AllClean+ can be diluted 1:20 for interior jobs.

The best approach I have found is to spray the diluted APC on to the dash etc, whilst avoiding any plastic trims, which can discolor.

I have an E60 myself, and I learnt that the plastic trim on door handles can discolor easily, which agitating. For delicate surfaces, you can wipe the APC solution on the microfiber cloth and then wipe the surfaces clean.

Use a slightly stiff bristle brush, stiffer than a cosmetic brush and softer than a hard plastic bristle brush to agitate the dirt etc. Next use a microfiber to wipe the surface clean.

Last step would be to use a trim protectant to protect the dash and other interior surfaces. I personally use Mothers Protectant for Rubber, Vinyl & Plastic for this task and love the result.
    -Babar MUGHAL
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I am leaning new things everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

For a trim protectant, I'd pick up some Meguiars Natural Shine....right around 5.00 at Wal-Mart. Leaves a nice low gloss on surfaces...can't beat it for the money

Post Thanks / Like

Read all of these

A great starting point for building your capabilities and understanding of the process

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.