autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CeriGlass on factory tinted windows?

I ordered some CeriGlass + Polishing pads from AG and plan to use it on some light scratches on the outside of the rear window of my pickup truck.

However, when I was doing my pre-polish research, I saw that the description for CeriGlass states:

"Not for use on aftermarket window tint, painted or coated glass."

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to me. The factory rear windows on a 2015 Tacoma are tinted dark, but I'm not entirely sure if it's something that has been applied to the outside or the inside (or all the way through?).

I plan on testing the waters by doing a small inconspicuous area first, but is there some way to know how exactly glass has been tinted?

This is just a stock photo, but mine looks the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CeriGlass on factory tinted windows?

If it is OEM tint, it should have a label in the bottom corner indicating if it is laminated and the percentage tint. If laminated; I believe the tint is actually between the layers.

Aftermarket Tint is on the inside of the glass

On side windows...roll it down halfway and you can see the edge of the film at the top edge of the glass

Hopefully, a pro tint guy will weigh in.

Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

You are polishing this on the outside glass correct? You should be fine. I've polished M105 on LC Yellow pads to remove stubborn water spots and did not affect the glass at all. Car was also a Toyota, if yours is.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct just polishing a small spot on the outside of the glass. I was hauling something in the bed and it ended up rubbing against the glass, putting in some micro scratches.

I'm going to go at it lightly and see how the CeriGlass works. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK so I actually gave it a shot just after midnight. Here are my results:

1. CarPro Rayon Pad + CeriGlass + Hand = Coarse hairline scratches, didn't even touch the marks I was trying to fix

2. CarPro Rayon Pad + CeriGlass + PC 7336 = More coarse hairline scratches

3. CarPro Rayon Pad + CeriGlass + Flex Rotary (speed 1) = Dense rotary induced swirls, but it did effectively fix the problem I was attacking.

4. Orange foam cutting pad + CeriGlass + Flex Rotary = Much finer rotary induced swirls. I was starting to step down in aggressiveness to make the glass clear again.

5. White polishing pad + DuraGloss Glass Polish + Flex Rotary (speed 2) = 98% reduction in the swirls induced by the CeriGlass.

I need to revisit this particular piece of window during the day time when I can get the rest of the swirls out, but I think this combination does the job.

The CeriGlass certainly seems to be a very aggressive product, especially for how easily it was scratching the glass even with a hand application. I know that glass is generally one of the hardest surfaces on a vehicle, but I would be very cautious about overzealous use of the stuff or in the hands of a novice.