autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How much should I charge?

Hey guys, I've been detailing personal cars for a while now. I want to start a mobile detailing business. Wondering how much I should be charging. For example, wash, clay and wax. How much? Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much should I charge?

That's a very difficult question to answer without more information. Demographic, competitors' rate, how long you take, products & process of use, skill, experience, reputation, cost of living, and how much your time is worth all play a roll in answering that question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    That's a very difficult question to answer without more information. Demographic, competitors' rate, how long you take, products & process of use, skill, experience, reputation, cost of living, and how much your time is worth all play a roll in answering that question.

But had to post this............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a similar situation as I just getting my prices down. One key thing for me and many others I don't give a set a price for all of my work. Some cars are more jacked than others. What someone may want may not be exactly what you'll give for the next 30 customers. Example I say my interior only starts at 150 and my exterior only starts at 120. I need a interview and often require a inspection before a hard number is given. Customers usually have a different interpretation of how bad their car is than Autogeek .

Post Thanks / Like

One has to consider factors such as geo locations, etc... Are you doing production detailing or word of mouth high line work. A typical package will cost different in NYC than it would could cost in anytown in rural New Hampshire.

The best thing to do is compare your packages to other established business in your GEO area, they probably will not be exact (item for item) but you'll get the idea. Get a consensus of what the competition charges and set your rates accordingly.

Remember, competition is good, but undercutting your peers in your location could be bad for business.

Post Thanks / Like

I also like to add 2 things: 1st competitors pricing. Because your area will have a range of detailers pricing. You will want to take seriously the ones with the level of services comparable to your own.

Also how much your time is worth. You will experience a difference in doing a few family and friends rides versus professional work; if you don't value yourself enough in your pricing you will burn yourself out. Even if you take a 'initial' financial hit, it will be worth it in piece of mind alone. Targeting customers who appreciate your work will keep your morale high. That's why I charge a little more for interiors. It's a PIA and I have my own personal standards of excellence that's important to me. Your question has been asked many times. I have read them to answer my same question. At least 50% would say, I don't know what your market is but your prices appear a little low. I suspect the same people years before we're in the other person's shoes. Think about that .

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a similar situation as I just getting my prices down. One key thing for me and many others I don't give a set a price for all of my work. Some cars are more jacked than others. What someone may want may not be exactly what you'll give for the next 30 customers. Example I say my interior only starts at 150 and my exterior only starts at 120. I need a interview and often require a inspection before a hard number is given. Customers usually have a different interpretation of how bad their car is than Autogeek .
    About the interpretation thing, I learned this the hard way today.

A friend of mine wanted his wife's interior done, so I agreed to take "his word" stating it was moderately dirty. My moderate price for a small to mid-size starts at $115. Upon arrival, it was DEFINTELY in the heavy category. I should of started in at $135. Even then I think I am undercutting myself there. ANYONE THINK I'M ON THE CHEAP SIDE???

NEVER DOING A JOB WITHOUT LOOKING AGAIN... THATS FOR SURE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am no professional but I'd like to think that I'm pretty average. I have had good results on my cars and friends' of mine. I was looking into my area and detailers are charging mostly by what needs to be done. So interior cleaning $110, wash and wax with vacuum interior $39....But, I was going to charge $15 by the hour with assessment of the vehicle first. I can gauge pretty well how long a job will take and I'm fairly efficient. If a job takes less or more than I anticipate I can negotiate. Or is that a bad idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell people you are charging $15/hr if thats what you do. Few like to hear an hourly rate for detailing. $15/hr seems pretty low. Factor in equipment, travel time, gas, time communicating with the customer, set up and break down time, replenishing supplies, washing towels and cleaning pads, etc...

Google "your city auto detailing" and a few variations. See what competitors charge and adjust accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoApollo View Post
    I want to start a mobile detailing business.
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoApollo View Post
    ...But, I was going to charge $15 by the hour with assessment of the vehicle first.
    $15 and hour, hmm. As a "business", do you plan on paying taxes on that $15 an hour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast