autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: chemical guys vs the world

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    It's not about product lines. It's about technique. If Tiger Woods gave me his clubs and he went out and bought a set at Walmart, he still wins every time.

So many people especially impatient ones spend a fortune on detailing supplies every time a new product or line comes out and guess what...in six months or a year the stuff is rotting away in a box someplace and it's on to the next magic pill.
    I agree on this one. However, that being said I do have go to products that I will only use for correcting/polishing.

That is Menzerna and Polish Angel compound/polish. PA has a compound Polish and a final Polish product. Menzerna for me it was FG400 and SF4500, however, I am confused as to what they call it now.

As for sealant: Menzerna and Polish Angel

For wax.....I have a whole bunch!

But Technique Trumps Product all the time.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mustanger View Post
    What would you guys consider to be an ok/good product and a professional product? As a whole.

I was reading around the interwebs and many detailers were referring to CG as an "ok" product. Or a product for enthusiasts.

What products would you consider as professional? pinnacle, poorboys, wolfgang? etc.

I'm really looking for a professional product line. as I stated as a whole company, which manufacturer would you recommend as being a professional line?

as for as waxes/sealants are concerned i'm pretty stuck to gtechniq coatings. I haven't done one yet on a vehicle, but i've heard nothing but positive things from them. So basically i'm looking for everything else from a company. interior, polishes, wheel/tire cleaner etc.

Thanks and i'm anxious to hear what some of you professional detailers use and/or recommend
    Sir, my wife and I have a side automotive detailing business and we use various assorted manufacturer products and many of them are chemical guys. We use some Meguiar's products along with croftgate USA.

I find that chemical guys products are good quality and haven't been unhappy with their results. I'm very happy with Chemical Guys compound, cutting polish, butter wet carnuba wax and m seal sealant. Whether I am detailing a 20k car or 100k car I'm still using the same products and get fantastic results with them. I use Chemical Guys degreasers, clay mitt's and love them.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read/seen 3d products seem to be very good and priced great.

Post Thanks / Like

Try not to get hung up on marketing.

There is no such thing as professional products just professional results. So you are just going to have figure out what works for you.

Megs has the most complete and consistent line of products out there.
    Menzerna makes world class polishes not to mention Powerlock which is a great sealant.
    Chemical guys it really hit or miss, they have great car wash soaps and some other products.
    Carpro is another great company with an amazing product line.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=2011 Kona Blue;1359553]

I find that chemical guys products are good quality and haven't been unhappy with their results. I'm very happy with Chemical Guys compound, cutting polish, butter wet carnuba wax and m seal sealant. Whether I am detailing a 20k car or 100k car I'm still using the same products and get fantastic results with them. I use Chemical Guys degreasers, clay mitt's and love them.[/QUOTE

This is a great example of differing opinions. I have invested in a lot of CG's products, some I love, some ended up in the dipsty dumpster. Butter Wet Wax, dumpster. M Seal, Dumpster, Jet Seal on the way to the dumpster.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great example of differing opinions. I have invested in a lot of CG's products, some I love, some ended up in the dipsty dumpster. Butter Wet Wax, dumpster. M Seal, Dumpster, Jet Seal on the way to the dumpster.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the same boat with these products. I bought into their advertising especially because they were local at about 15 minute drive. However one day I tried BFWD to compare against jetseal. The differences were night and day. So it made me wonder about other products. That's when I realized there was a world of greater products out there. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy some of their products. Their soaps are pretty great.
    As far lines go, I really enjoy meguiars professions detailer line. Very economical and work great. I use meguiars polishes as well. However, I do use specific products from other lines. I feel it's all on individual preference. A customer will base your professionalism based on results in my opinion.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused.... the "Top shelf stuff doesn't last as long"??? Say WHAT?

Doesn't matter what/who makes it, a compound that works, a polish that works, a sealant that works, a APC that works, a spray wax, a shampoo, a all purpose shine product... they ALL last the same. A gallon is a gallon is a gallon.

And for those that know, and UNDERSTAND that "TECHNIQUE" trumps all

Of course you all know of the "poll" where we've been told that abrasive technology trumps all. But hey... that poll also says we don't have a choice, we get what we get, and WHAT would be the most important factor. That is knowledge... which at it's core is Technique!

All things being equal, 1 compound to choose from, being a quality product. Multiple pads to choose from, and each are presented with a vehicle they've never done before.
    • The first guy has never used a buffer before, doesn't know one pad from another, and tears into it. Remembering of course that he has the best abrasive technology available, the same one the next two guys have.

• The next guy has used a buffer on his personal car, but that's the only one. Knows a cutting pad from a finishing pad, but doesn't know hard from soft paint and has never used but 1 compound. (And it's not the one he has to use this time.)

• The third guy has done dozens of vehicles, has dozens of pads, has 5 or 6 compounds on hand (and knows the difference between them) and at least that many polishes. He has fought with hard paint, suffered through soft paint, and knows when to use the LEAST AGRESSIVE METHOD, and how to make that work.

• All three though... start with the same compound, and the same pad.

Which one will get the best results?
    Is it ONLY because of the abrasive?
    Or could it actually be the "technique" (IE knowledge)?

Going back to chemicals though....
    For a full lineup of everything from APC's, to shine products, degreasers, waxes, sealants, compounds and polished of all shapes and sizes. From super heavy cut to ultra finesse polishes, even AIO products. Then throw in pads, and even towels. Not to mention they offer some seriously nice spray bottles, pre-printed with many of their product names on them, and at a price that is VERY affordable (for a first rate spray bottle).
    Meguair's is hard to beat.

Now if you're talking about compounds, polishes and sealants, and NOT all the surrounding chemicals. Then EVERYONE needs to experience Menzerna products.

Along that line of thinking, 3D/HD products have really come into their own. Don't have a whole big selection of them here, but like what I've tried. (And will be trying more when some of what I have gets low.)

Of course there are PLENTY of quality products that any detailer out there can happily use day to day. All of which are just as good, and just as affordable in the long run as any of the above. Some of course are tools, and we all need our tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Wholeheartedly agreed on Butter Wet Wax.

My experience using the product was an unpleasant one. Sounds nice on paper, but the gooey consistency is weird to apply - like wiping a greasy pan after a cookout... Jumped on 4* UPP after that and never look back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Wholeheartedly agreed on Butter Wet Wax.

My experience using the product was an unpleasant one. Sounds nice on paper, but the gooey consistency is weird to apply - like wiping a greasy pan after a cookout... Jumped on 4* UPP after that and never look back.
    The gallon of butter wet wax I have doesn't and didn't come with a gooey consistency. Nothing weird about its application that I have found. Works the same as other liquid waxes I have applied. Place 4 to 5 dots on the DA pad and do your thing.

Maybe I just got a non gooey batch of butter wet wax but I'm very pleased with its results. I use it on my personal vehicles as well as my customers vehicles. Super easy on and super easy off. Here is my website and photo gallery of some customers vehicles and the 2011 Honda and BMW were my lastest details. The Honda was a semi train wreck. All Chemical Guys compound, cutting polish and butter wet wax. All details are done with my Dual Action Porter Cable 7424 XP. I will eventually step up to the Flex DA.

http://www.egautomotivedetail.com/apps/photos/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Maybe I just got a non gooey batch of butter wet wax but I'm very pleased with its results.
    This was before they release Blacklight & V07, so it's a while back. Could be that I had a bad batch, or simply quality control issue. Speak of which, my Diablo Wheel Cleaner was a dud. Gloopy; like expired milk. Nothing remotely close to the reviews I've read on here.

I love V07, and their Extreme Slick Synthetic Detailer is outstanding - I have 4 gal. Inner Clean is nice (about to finish 2nd gallon). Sprayable Leather is good and has that new car smell, which I quite like. About to put Silk Shine (highly recommended by custmsprty - thank you sir) to use as soon as the weather breaks.

I guess you could say I like CG. I wouldn't hesitate to try any of their products. When it comes to consistency, however, companies like Meguiar's have them beat by a mile, IMHO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast