autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BRS - Big Red Sponge

Essentially what I've seen you do the vehicle the same way just with the sponge. ..just rinsing it out in the solution instead of grabbing another towel. Less laundry at the end. I have read that if I do do a two bucket, put ONR in the second bucket. Personally I feel safer doing that then introducing dirt to my main bucket of ONR. Just added insurance and piece of mind

Post Thanks / Like

I'm contemplating filleting mine. Just cannot get the hang of this thing. Thinning it might make it more pliable. As is, it's just damn awkward/cumbersome.

Mine had been sitting in ONR solution 3 weeks prior to its first run. I was expecting to be blown away, but came away seriously disappointed. Going to give it another try, which would make this the fifth attempt, before taking a knife to it....

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nav45 View Post
    I think I might know the answer but have you noticed an increase in marring compared to other rinseless wash methods?

LOL, I'm just being a bit cautious because this is a totally new wash method for me. I've been conditioned to believe that the multiple towel method is the only safe way to do a rinseless wash. It might need some courage on my part to try a new method (haha).

Thanks.
    Not at all. Rinseless washing is actually a safer method than traditional soap and water.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok. It seems to rinse out cleanly from what I've seen but of course I'm not there in person. Do you use the BRS on your personal vehicles?

Thanks.
    I own daily drivers and use the Big Red Sponge on every car with no problems. If you have an exotic car I would just be more careful. When using the BRS wipe with very little pressure to prevent any problems. There is no need to press down hard on the sponge to get the panel clean. Just let it glide across the paint using light pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    I bought my BRS directly from Optimum last year but never used it since I preferred doing a PW + WW with MFs over a RW.

I was never told by OPT at purchase time that you have to keep the sponge soaking in a solution of ONR when not in use. Where did this info come from?
    The designer of the Big Red Sponge personally told me to always keep the sponge soaking in ONR for best results.

Post Thanks / Like

Also the Big Red Sponge will look dirty and turn darker after multiple uses. The best way to clean the Big Red Sponge is to soak it in Dawn dish soap and then rinse

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,

have you tried the OPT blue sponge that AG now carries? your thoughts if you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    Marc,

have you tried the OPT blue sponge that AG now carries? your thoughts if you have.
    I have not tried the Optimum Waffle Blue Sponge but it's my next product on the list to purchase. I have heard the sponge works well but I understand the downside of the sponge is you are not able to flip the sponge and move to the next panel. It's needs rinsed after each panel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Not at all. Rinseless washing is actually a safer method than traditional soap and water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    I own daily drivers and use the Big Red Sponge on every car with no problems. If you have an exotic car I would just be more careful. When using the BRS wipe with very little pressure to prevent any problems. There is no need to press down hard on the sponge to get the panel clean. Just let it glide across the paint using light pressure
    OK great. Is there a benefit of pre-spraying a panel before using the BRS?

In the other rinseless wash methods, people will often times pre-spray a panel to help with lubricity, etc.

Thanks CarolinasFinestDetailing and Real Riders.

Post Thanks / Like

OK great. Is there a benefit of pre-spraying a panel before using the BRS?

In the other rinseless wash methods, people will often times pre-spray a panel to help with lubricity, etc.

Thanks CarolinasFinestDetailing and Real Riders.
    Before I start the wash I dip an empty spray bottle in the clean ONR solution and use it for pre soak. Usually I just pre soak the whole side of the car and start washing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast