autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Functional differences between Porter Cable 7424 and 7424XP?

While going through my parents' garage I came across a disused circa 2001 PC 7424. I think my dad got it when their cars were new but quickly got bored with it and stashed it on a bottom shelf, where it sat until I discovered it today.

I'm curious how this older model differs from the XP. I found a video online, made right when the XP came out, that outlines the physical differenced between the two models. What I'm curious about is in the past 6 years have people discovered a functional difference between the two that make the XP a must-have and the old model truly obsolete? Or perhaps a design flaw in the new model that makes the original sought after?

If the original is still a good design I may have just saved a ton of $$$!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Functional differences between Porter Cable 7424 and 7424XP?

I have the pc7424xp--it works great. I'm sure if your older model works, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The changes were to the design.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAKythclHn8"]Video Comparison of the Porter Cable 7424 vs. the New 7424XP - YouTube[/video]
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Priyaka View Post
    I have the pc7424xp--it works great. I'm sure if your older model works, I don't see why you couldn't use it. The changes were to the design.

Video Comparison of the Porter Cable 7424 vs. the New 7424XP - YouTube
    Yup. That's the video I found. It was made right when the XP came out. That was 6 years ago when no one had yet used the XP. Like I said, I'm curious if any functional differences have surfaced with time and practical use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of each machine. The original doesn't have the top end speed that the xp has, however, it seems to maintain lower speed rotation better than the xp. The original is smaller, quiter and lighter too.

I got two of the original 7424 machine recently, one was brand new old stock, and the other barely used. One was from 06, and the other from 07. I've messed around with it a couple times on test panels, and a couple test spots. The real factor will be how I can make it handle an actual job. The XP is my machine of choice right now. I'm pretty sure the original will be just fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the new low profile thin pads, the lack of power of the original 7424 might not be as much as an issue as it was when the tool was in production.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I have two of each machine. The original doesn't have the top end speed that the xp has, however, it seems to maintain lower speed rotation better than the xp. The original is smaller, quiter and lighter too.

I got two of the original 7424 machine recently, one was brand new old stock, and the other barely used. One was from 06, and the other from 07. I've messed around with it a couple times on test panels, and a couple test spots. The real factor will be how I can make it handle an actual job. The XP is my machine of choice right now. I'm pretty sure the original will be just fine for me.
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like for occasional use on personal cars by a rank amateur I'll be just fine with the original model.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine with the original.

As for the lack of power as far as I'm concerned that's a bit of a misnomer. With proper technique the original has plenty of corrective power. Even more so with the newer thinner pads and compounds.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkSRT View Post
    You'll be fine with the original.

As for the lack of power as far as I'm concerned that's a bit of a misnomer. With proper technique the original has plenty of corrective power. Even more so with the newer thinner pads and compounds.
    This is really the best news I could have read. Just got my first new car in about 11 years and found in a box, my old PC 7424. I have already spend a fair amount of money here acquiring stuff to maintain the beauty (it's nothing fancy because it is a midsize SUV to haul the family), but to me, I love it and want to keep it in great shape. I found this and was wondering if I would need to upgrade..but maybe not..on my way to get a LC 6 pack of pads and am really appreciating all the knowledge here.

Post Thanks / Like

The only real difference I've found is top end speed. The xp will get the pad spinning faster at speed 6. The xp also runs cooler.

However, I love the size of the original! I've done a handful of jobs with it, and it performs just fine.

With the D300/DMC5 pads it would have no problem destroying swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mthowell View Post
    This is really the best news I could have read. Just got my first new car in about 11 years and found in a box, my old PC 7424. I have already spend a fair amount of money here acquiring stuff to maintain the beauty (it's nothing fancy because it is a midsize SUV to haul the family), but to me, I love it and want to keep it in great shape. I found this and was wondering if I would need to upgrade..but maybe not..on my way to get a LC 6 pack of pads and am really appreciating all the knowledge here.
    If you have more serious defects, consider Meguiar's D300 compound, and their Microfiber cutting discs. Their thin foam discs are the natural compliment to those too. Cut with the microfiber, polish with yellow foam, finish with the black.

The LC are great too. Glad you found your machine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast