autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tacoma Exhaust Stain Problem

The new models come with a little patch of clear bra over that area. I thought that was interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tguil View Post
    This has been an ongoing problem on all three of my wife's white Gen 2 Tacomas (2005, 2011 and 2015). We live on a gravel road and every winter we end up with a gritty stain on the fender above the exhaust pipe. I think that it is a mixture of exhaust condensation and dust. After ten years you would think that Toyota would have a fix for this. They don't.

Clay, solvents and polish do NOT remove the stain. It's almost like another layer of paint. . The only thing that has worked for me is to buff off the stain using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound applied with a three inch pad on a PC. Then I then apply a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. I do this a couple of times during the winter months. Anyone have a better idea? I don't want mess with changing the exhaust.
    Here we go an old post that I made five years ago. I purchased a fourth white Tacoma in 2018. My wife still has her 2015 Tacoma. In the five years since my 2016 post, I still have not found a solution to this problem other than Ultimate Compound followed by an application of wax. Does anyone have a suggestion that might work for removal of this stain. By the way, my wife's Tacoma is almost six years old. I have used the compound on it once or twice every year and have not cut through to primer...yet.
    Two white Tacomas and two black Harleys...No sense complicating my life with color.

Post Thanks / Like

there are PPFs that have a higher heat tolerance. Ceramic coating would help as well. I frequently ceramic coat exhaust tips and I noticed that they are so much easier to clean afterwards.

4. Likes dgage, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - have you tried different LSP's in that area? Seems like if one has proven to not resist staining I'd want to rotate through some different options. Instead of wax try an Acrylic sealant/sio2/tio2 etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with comments above. Maybe I should try a better sealant/coating...something that I can buff out without taking the chance on damaging paint. I also have considered cutting off the exhaust pipe under the truck bed and installing a decent looking turn down exhaust extension. Two reasons for not doing this...is it really safe and what happens with all of the moisture exiting the exhaust. This is mostly a problem in cold weather. I'd really like to find a chemical that would remove the stain without damaging the paint....and easy on, easy off chemical. I drive on eight miles of gravel road daily. The dust and exhaust moisture and heat cause the problem.

It's almost time for my wife to trade her truck. This little problem may just be a deal breaker. Four trucks with this problem is enough.
    Two white Tacomas and two black Harleys...No sense complicating my life with color.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12