autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing/Compound and clearcoat removal.

It is to my understanding that a small amount of clearcoat/paint is removed during the polish/compound process. I also know that there are tools that are used to measure the thickness of the clearcoat layer.

My question is: Generally, how many times can a car be polished or compounded safely, before this layer is removed.

I know it all depends on the product and pad, but I'm just looking for a general answer.

If you polish or compound your car once or twice a year throughout its entire lifetime, would the clear coat eventually be removed? Sort of a scary thought!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing/Compound and clearcoat removal.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGT View Post
    It is to my understanding that a small amount of clearcoat/paint is removed during the polish/compound process. I also know that there are tools that are used to measure the thickness of the clearcoat layer.

My question is: Generally, how many times can a car be polished or compounded safely, before this layer is removed.

A: That depends on the thickness of the clearcoat and how aggressively you compound the paint. Total paint thickness can be measured but clearcoat cannot. So we have to guestimate when we take a reading, Usually, the coatcoat will represent between 33% to 50% of the total paint thickness, the rest being the color coat and the primer.

As a rule of thumb, polishing removes so little paint you should not worry about doing it yearly. On the other hand, compounding should not be done repeatedly, it weakens the clearcoat and in my book it the kind of thing you may what to do once, maybe twice during the lifetime of the car. The best thing you can do is apply a coating after you have corrected the paint and maintain it as best you can so you never have to compound again.

I know it all depends on the product and pad, but I'm just looking for a general answer.

If you polish or compound your car once or twice a year throughout its entire lifetime, would the clear coat eventually be removed? Sort of a scary thought!!
    A: If you compound a car twice a year, you have a serious problem with your cleaning technique As stated above, doing a yearly polish is nothing to be afraid of. Compounding is not a routine maintenance process.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Polish doesn't really remove very much, compounding may, as you note, depending.

You really want to have your wash/maintenance techniques down to minimize the number of compounding sessions. Ideally you only want to do one--at the time you are removing the Dealer Installed Swirl Option (DISO) or at the time you become a 'Geek.

Many members routinely polish their cars twice a year (spring/fall) without any ill effects. The secondary consideration to paint removal is how the paint is maintained after. You could remove a lot of clear but then put a good coating on which will mitigate that somewhat. Generally, well cared-for vehicles (washed and "waxed" regularly) will have better paint longevity than those that are poorly maintained.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I've found helpful is having a paint thickness gauge to give me at least an idea of what the general thickness is. For my car at least, the thickness is unfortunately variable. I have measured 120-130 microns on the hood and roof but as little as 85-90 down near the bottom of the doors, quarter panels and fenders.

I don't know precisely how much of that is clear coat, but going by the 33-50% rule, that's as little as 28 microns. Ok for a few rounds of polishing, but gives you pause if you're thinking about compounding.

(Sent via my mobile device)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Mike Phillips

The bigger picture is after correcting you car's paint - don't do things to the paint that would cause you to have to correct the paint again.

If working on a customer's car, match your devices to you customer. Don't "correct" or do show car detailing for someone that is going to take their car to a brush style automatic car wash.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What criteria using a cut scale out of 10 would a polish be classified as a polish and a compound a compound?

Eg. Is a cut of 5/10 a compound or a polish?

Once the above is established we can then clearly state polishing is safe as a routine step and a compound not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zubair View Post
    What criteria using a cut scale out of 10 would a polish be classified as a polish and a compound a compound?

Eg. Is a cut of 5/10 a compound or a polish?

Once the above is established we can then clearly state polishing is safe as a routine step and a compound not.

If you were to use the label on Meguiars Mirror Glaze professional bottles M105 Compund would be a 12/12. M205 Ultra Finishing Polish is a 4/12.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the responses. From this thread, I have learned that I shouldn't worry too much about polishing, and not to compound more than once or twice throughout the life of the car.

I plan on doing a nice clay, polish and sealant once a year, and then following up with just a sealant when needed.

My car is garaged and normally comes out on the weekends.

My first detail will be with HD Speed and HD Poxy so I am looking forward to that!

EDIT: This forum should implement a "like" or "thanks" system!

Mike Phillips

Coming soon plus a lot more improvements!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the responses. From this thread, I have learned that I shouldn't worry too much about polishing, and not to compound more than once or twice throughout the life of the car.

I plan on doing a nice clay, polish and sealant once a year, and then following up with just a sealant when needed.

My car is garaged and normally comes out on the weekends.

My first detail will be with HD Speed and HD Poxy so I am looking forward to that!

If you are going to use a sealant after polishing, I would suggest you use a regular Polish, not an all-in-one like HD Speed. HD Speed contains a wax and is designed to be used without having to apply a sealant.

I do not know the HD product line that well but they surely have an equivalent to Meg's M205 or Ultimate Polish. That would be the product you should use.

A good way to maintain your car well is to apply the sealant twice a year. I always recommend to do it at spring and winter. If you want to polish, the best time to do it is when spring comes. While you are at it, put some Aquapel on your windows and Windshield at the same time, it has roughly the same durability as the sealant (about 6 months).

Have fun detailing your car