autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer(Aerosol)

I have now communicated with Megs 3 different times, in which they have been Very professional, courteous, and prompt to to help. Just a solid group of people working over there, and I appreciate all of their help.

The only thing is, is that after all the help and everything I have done, I have NOT been able to remove any of the Plastic Restorer off of my Exterior Trim.

These are the things I have tried:

Numerous applications of D101 APC 4:1, trying to rub off as well as I can with microfiber applicators.

Then tried with tooth brushes, then tried with a tire brush.

After this didn't work, I used D108 Super Degreaser 4:1 with all of the above applicators and then brushes.

After this didn't work, I used Meguiars All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with all of the above mentioned applicators and brushes.

After this didn't work, I used a strong IPA 35% solution to no avail.

Then Megs suggested that I use Ultimate Compound, which I used numerous times with a Microfiber applicator, and rubbing it in as hard as I could.

After all of this, nothing in appearance nor feel, has changed what-so-ever with the trim. It is still dark, it still has the same sheen.

When I prepared the trim for the application of this product, it was VERY faded light grey and completely cleaned. After the use of UB aerosol it became much darker with a sheen.

The reason I want to remove this product is because I don't like the artificial look of it. I really love the looks of WETS and want to remove this stuff.

I have no idea of what to do next. What would be the next step up in aggressiveness to remove this stuff?

I am considering Turpentine, Paint thinner, or some kind of Mineral Spirits to remove this stuff.

I think that Meguiars could have at least put a warning on their packaging, that says:

"This stuff will NOT come off, no matter what you try, So Just Deal with it"!!!

At least I would have known to steer clear! I'm not angry at anyone at Megs, they are cool people. I just would have hoped for more warning of HOW strong this stuff is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Update:Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer(Aerosol)

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    I have now communicated with Megs 3 different times, in which they have been Very professional, courteous, and prompt to to help. Just a solid group of people working over there, and I appreciate all of their help.

The only thing is, is that after all the help and everything I have done, I have NOT been able to remove any of the Plastic Restorer off of my Exterior Trim.

These are the things I have tried:

Numerous applications of D101 APC 4:1, trying to rub off as well as I can with microfiber applicators.

Then tried with tooth brushes, then tried with a tire brush.

After this didn't work, I used D108 Super Degreaser 4:1 with all of the above applicators and then brushes.

After this didn't work, I used Meguiars All Wheel and Tire Cleaner with all of the above mentioned applicators and brushes.

After this didn't work, I used a strong IPA 35% solution to no avail.

Then Megs suggested that I use Ultimate Compound, which I used numerous times with a Microfiber applicator, and rubbing it in as hard as I could.

After all of this, nothing in appearance nor feel, has changed what-so-ever with the trim. It is still dark, it still has the same sheen.

When I prepared the trim for the application of this product, it was VERY faded light grey and completely cleaned. After the use of UB aerosol it became much darker with a sheen.

The reason I want to remove this product is because I don't like the artificial look of it. I really love the looks of WETS and want to remove this stuff.

I have no idea of what to do next. What would be the next step up in aggressiveness to remove this stuff?

I am considering Turpentine, Paint thinner, or some kind of Mineral Spirits to remove this stuff.

I think that Meguiars could have at least put a warning on their packaging, that says:

"This stuff will NOT come off, no matter what you try, So Just Deal with it"!!!

At least I would have known to steer clear! I'm not angry at anyone at Megs, they are cool people. I just would have hoped for more warning of HOW strong this stuff is.
    Kind of taking this a different direction, sorry. Did this stuff actually make the trim black, and it's staying that way no matter what you do? The reason I ask is I have a neighbor with a CRV the rear bumper cover was replaced when it was almost new. They used an aftermarket piece and it's faded terribly. Where it's light gray with almost white stripes. I've tried several products with not much success. If this stuff will make it black and keep it that way I'm sure he would be happy.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

What a great testimonial to the restorative
    value, and durability (among other attributes),
    of this particular Meguiar's product!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

What a great testimonial to the restorative
    value, and durability (among other attributes),
    of this particular Meguiar's product!

Bob
    LOL...agreed!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a Marketing ploy?
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch that this stuff is pretty permanent. Thinner will take it off though.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I have w feeling you might just be able to apply the WETS on top of this product to get the look that you're after. I know that I've applied some on top of an existing trim coating on my Avalanche and it made the trim slightly darker and less shiny.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty darn durable. Not a marketing ploy.

I just let it fade over time. Maybe D101 at full strength may take it completely off. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It's pretty darn durable. Not a marketing ploy.
    I was joking that it was an undercover Megs Rep who was complaining that the product lasted too long and couldn't be removed with a crow bar.

Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you didn't mention anything about using a DA? Maybe try that before going the paint thinner route?

There's no comparison when it comes to DA with brush attachment vs elbow grease. The machine wins by a mile.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast