autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does ceramic coating interfere with a car's electronics as a ceramic window tint does?

I did a quick internet search and did not find anything.
    Just curious.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does ceramic coating interfere with a car's electronics as a ceramic window tint does?

I believe ceramic window tint are a misnomer and they actually contain metal. Ceramic coatings do not.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does ceramic coating interfere with a car's electronics as a ceramic window tint does?

I'm pretty sure the metal underneath the paint that's underneath the ceramic coating is going to be the biggest barrier to RF radiation.

That being said, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "interfere with a car's electronics". Some window treatments have been known to interfere with transmission of some electromagnetic emissions, such as preventing radar detectors from functioning optimally. I would imagine increased opacity to EM could also reduce reception to stand-alone receivers such as GPS or cell phones. Are you speaking about using these "ceramic coatings" on the glass on your vehicle? I would submit these coatings are much thinner than aftermarket window tint.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not thinking about the glass coatings but that is something to think about. When I tinted my car I did research and it was mentioned that the ceramic coatings that did have metal interfered with cell phone, gps and radar antennas inside of the car. Now with modern cars having antennas all over the place I was wondering if that held true for ceramic coatings but since they do not contain metal that is a mute point.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No, but if you wear a tinfoil hat it might help those messages get through...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    No, but if you wear a tinfoil hat it might help those messages get through...

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I use the shield.

The stylish alternative to the tinfoil hat has finally arrived

Goggle the above sentence for a good laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Most tint is metallic in design and most of the offerings do not interfere with electronics. Ceramic tint is the newest offering and quite expensive. It supposed to hold coloring and clarity better. I just had FormulaOne Pinnacle Ceramic Tint installed, and it hasn't effected anything in the car and the look has exceeded past tint work. In South Florida, tinting is a must.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Never Had any issue with ceramic tint interfering with electronics. Both of our cars now have ceramic tint, much better than the older metalized tint.

Post Thanks / Like

Moot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast