autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing winter road salt off the car!

Is it okay if I go through a touch less car was that sprays the undercarriage of my vehicle to get rid of the road salt and other stuff from the winter months, once or twice a year? What about the soap and headlight OEM clear coat with UV protection, any negative effects of those? I just want to get rid of the salt as soon as possible until I have time to wash, clay, and apply paint sealant in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing winter road salt off the car!

I would do it every day if I had unlimited tokens, didn't have to wait in line and there was a touchless on my way home. The soap can't be any worse than salt and sand getting sprayed at your car on the roads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I would do it every day if I had unlimited tokens, didn't have to wait in line and there was a touchless on my way home. The soap can't be any worse than salt and sand getting sprayed at your car on the roads.

^^ This. I went the other day when the sun came out but I can't stand to wait in line.

I would advise when you do go to just get the basic wash with no waxes or sealers.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I had self car wash a few miles away from me but it is closed for 6 months now. I have no choice but to do pre-soaked rinsless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BF4Noob73 View Post
    Is it okay if I go through a touch less car was that sprays the undercarriage of my vehicle to get rid of the road salt and other stuff from the winter months, once or twice a year? What about the soap and headlight OEM clear coat with UV protection, any negative effects of those? I just want to get rid of the salt as soon as possible until I have time to wash, clay, and apply paint sealant in the spring.
    I do it, but then go home and put it in the garage and do a rinseless wash to get the scum off and the spots that the touchless missed. Then do a follow up with a spray wax to add back the protection the car wash soap took off.

Post Thanks / Like

Park your car somewhere where the salt run off won't hurt the ground and put a sprinkler under the car. Get the moving type of sprinkler that swings back and forth.
    You may have to move the car several times to get the salt out of every nook and cranny.
    Then spray the underside of the car with a heavy coat of WD-40 to displace all the water.

This is what I would do after being at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a week of racing.
    And I would soak the underside of the tow vehicle with WD-40 before I went. It kept the salt from attacking the underside at all.