autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage Floor Coating (concrete)

So I am looking into putting a coating of some sort on the concrete inside my 20x24 garage that I detail out of. Besides the obvious of making the floor look nicer, I am really more concerned with protecting the bare concrete from my chemicals and also aiding in keeping the dust down. I'm not really concerned with color (a semi gloss clear paint would be fine). I talked to a few people who had experience with concrete coatings in the past and they said they always peel up where a vehicles hot tires sit. Well, it's a decent process to apply the coating and will cost me in the neighborhood of $400 so I am not going to bother if I have to reapply the coating every year or so. They didn't know the brand or type that they used and there are sooo many different options (epoxy, polycuramine, polyurethane, acrylic, solvent based, water based, etc.) and brands. So I was wondering if you guys could tell me your experiences (good or bad) with concrete coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Floor Coating (concrete)

I don't think there's an issue with the clear sealers (as opposed to paints) peeling from hot tires. I guess more of an issue is the condition of the concrete presently--do you live in an area where salt is used?

Post Thanks / Like

My father-in-law lives in a house that is very old with a detached garage, I think the garage was build in the 1950's, his garage floor was horrible, he bought the kit at lowes and did his floor. It's been 4 years now and looks like the day he did it. It's all in the prep he said. Hope this helps.

Kyle

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Low Ranger,

I had my floor done 6 years ago, it's never required, any maintenance, is impervious to hot tires etc. I've had one stain & that was from a leaky golf cart battery:

The process:

They sanded, or roughed up the smooth concrete (messy) > paint chips (think confetti), many color(s) & size(s) chips > then sealant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Floor Coating (concrete)-2016-01-17_8-05-13-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sicoupe View Post
    it's all in the prep.
    +1,000,000
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

I used quickrete epoxy from lowes or Home Depot in my last house. It looked good for the first couple of years. I did a brake fluid change and it ate up a good chunk of coating really quick. They were surprised it did any damage and sent me two replacement kits right away.

I had to scuff the original coating and prep just as thorough as the first time but had less than optimal results with the second coat. Small random spots have peeled up near edges and where the tires sit.

The average person still compliments my floor but it drives me nuts. Behr sent me a 3rd set of kits to redo the floor, but I sold the house before getting it installed.

I think they look great, but if you are meticulous with your paint this will just give you something else you will feel compelled to clean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don't think there's an issue with the clear sealers (as opposed to paints) peeling from hot tires. I guess more of an issue is the condition of the concrete presently--do you live in an area where salt is used?
    Great to know as I have been looking into the clear sealers. Garage is only 3 years old so floor is in great shape and NC gets very little snow/salt so not much of an issue there. Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

I went to my local concrete supply house, and bought the epoxy they sell. Prep is the most important.

Post Thanks / Like

The two most important things I found in my research were:

1) The only prep you want to do is sanding. Any kind of cleaning/etching chemicals will stay on/in the concrete and affect the bond.

2) The better stuff to use is 2 part aliphatic polyurethane. You want to research it though. This stuff can do nasty stuff to your lungs if handled improperly.

This was information I gleaned off professional painters forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey 98LowRanger, I am actually doing the exact same research myself for my new shop. I posted a similar question over on the garage journal forum (there's a ton of information on that forum for stuff like this) and got some good advice. I narrowed it down and am really close to pulling the trigger on this concrete sealer: Products :: Concrete Sealers :: HD6600-MMA Concrete Sealer I can added some grip material to the final coat to add traction too. It seems like a much higher quality product than what you might find from a big box store, but pricing want too bad (my ~1200sqft shop will run me right around $600 so you should be able to do yours for ~$300 with one 5-gallon container). And application seems really pretty easy too. Good luck with your research!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast