autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coin-Op Rinse only In Winter?

I live in NY and face this problem too. I usually go to the pay and spray and use the high pressure rinse to knock all the crud off. My place has a spot free rinse option also, which is deionized water so I use that to minimize spotting. Then I get on the highway and whatever hasn't frozen gets blown off. I'll use this method all winter long and never actually "wash" the car until spring, except in the rare case of a super warm day where I can do the pay and spray and come home for a waterless wash with ONR.

I have PBL paint coating on my car and I believe this really helps get the junk off the paint.

NEVER hand dry the car after using this method, youre asking for scratches from whatever remains on the paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Doesn't the coin-op brush serve a purpose? Yes, it does. To remove the dirt.
    Noooooo! NEVER use the coin-op brush...

...unless you are using it as the prep to a course wet sanding.

What, you didn't see the mud-bog monster wheel truck that used that brush to remove two inches of mud after a day of mud slinging?

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonataLF View Post
    Well the winter temperatures are finally here and they have started to salt the roads even though we have only had a dusting of snow. I don't have a garage and there are no touch-less washes within 30 miles of me. Would I be safe just using the coin-op to rinse my car wih water only to get the salt and stuff off and use the hand dryer to get most of the water off the car? Am I asking for water spots with this method?

- Better leaving it alone until we get safely above freezing to do my normal ONR?
    - Take a gamble and use the coin-op high pressure soap(hope its not total crap) before rinsing?
    Here in Ohio we're in salt and sand season. The latter is what I hate seeing them use But they do.

Like others have said, visit a DIY Power wash and blast off the car as best you can. I usually hit mine with about two sessions of just high presssure water then head home, park the car in the garage and do a No Rinse wash.

I'm pretty particular about my No Rinse process but I can get the car completely spotless and looking amazing in about 1hr. Door jams, wheels, gloss enhancer, etc.

Happy to post up my process but am respectful of the rules and finding my way here as a newb so I'll hold off on doing so in this thread. PM me anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info! Thought I'd bump it up for the winter season

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Coin-Op Rinse only In Winter?

old thread with my to-be-tried process:

1. Thoroughly rinse car with pressure sprayer: start at top, work way down hitting jamps, mirrors, wells, wheels, undercarriage.

2. spray wheels, wells and undercarriage with 1:10 mix of D101 in 1/2-gallon hand-pump pressure sprayer

3. scrub wheels with Speed Brush and/or black chenile wash mitt and wells with flexible Speed Brush. Rinse or wait and go to next step...

4. spray down car top to bottom with waterless mix of ONRWW in 1-gallon hand pump sprayer.

5. start at top and wash panel by panel with MF Meg's mitt rinsing in 4-gallons of water in 5-gal bucket with grit guard.

6. once mitt washing is complete, start drying

7. I use Opti-Seal as a drying aid and a non-AG supplied drying towel. A panel at a time + glass: Mist with Opti-seal, dry with towel. Dry wheels/tires with separate black MF towels.

8. Then I might apply Pinnacle Onyx Tire Gel with the supplied foam brush

FYI - Many towns here, including mine use a brine here and other towns I drive through regularly use salt. The build-up is great for getting rid of ice, but not great for automobile surfaces. I'd be leary of going 3-4 months without at least a power rinse of some sort.

Once I get to the pay-n-spray, I might re-evaluate my process and just do a high pressure rinse and leave it at that since it's supposed to rain the next two days.

I treated with Poli-Seal by hand several months ago (don't own a DA yet) and gets washed with ONRWW with the Opti-Seal drying aid. This year I'm intending to HD Speed it and maybe evolve to Jescar Compund/Polish + Collinite or ceramic coating farther down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonataLF View Post
    Well the winter temperatures are finally here and they have started to salt the roads even though we have only had a dusting of snow. I don't have a garage and there are no touch-less washes within 30 miles of me. Would I be safe just using the coin-op to rinse my car wih water only to get the salt and stuff off and use the hand dryer to get most of the water off the car? Am I asking for water spots with this method?

- Better leaving it alone until we get safely above freezing to do my normal ONR?
    - Take a gamble and use the coin-op high pressure soap(hope its not total crap) before rinsing?

Thanks for entertaining the craziness. Lol
    I got a pressure spray foamed for use at the coin op. Foam it, rinse it take it home for a waterless if you can. That's my method although I haven't actually done it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I like what he said. He seams like he knows his stuff. I mean, who would towel dry just after only spraying down the car? Doesn't the coin-op brush serve a purpose? Yes, it does. To remove the dirt. If the sprayer removed all of the dirt, what's the need for the brush?
    No one around here would be caught dead using that brush. You gotta be kidding? Might as well just use sandpaper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    No one around here would be caught dead using that brush. You gotta be kidding? Might as well just use sandpaper
    Sand paper would leave much finer scratches, good choice sir

There should be a warmimg label on those brushes: "Will destroy your paint, use at your own risk"

9. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    Not best practice.. But I literally don't wash the car during winter months
    With the constant salt throwdown and kickup its a lost cause
    Bang. Exactly what I do. Then when I first wash my car in the Spring, it beads water beautifully. My wife does a touchless occasionally over the winter so she doesn't get salt on her clothing, which is reasonable, so I get the other point of view also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    Bang. Exactly what I do. Then when I first wash my car in the Spring, it beads water beautifully. My wife does a touchless occasionally over the winter so she doesn't get salt on her clothing, which is reasonable, so I get the other point of view also.
    With HD Speed as your lsp?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast