autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am about to give up!

I just don't think thsi pc is doing it for me for swirls. Did my mom's '96 car, pretty bad, I mean bad, no big scratches, but tons of heavy swirls, etc.
    I hit it with everythign I had: cutting pad, SSR2, Opt compound, trie dmixing a few even. Went over it and over it, no luck, just cleaned them up a little.
    I marked the top of my pads so I could see rotation, et. I went super slow, pad rotaing maybe once per few seconds, varied it so it moved faster.
    What am I doing wrong? Most of the cars I do are older and have not been taken care of. think I should buy an orbital, if I do its gonan be a Wal Mart special, but use it jsut for stuff like this? Any heavier compound I should go with?
    Any help? Its just frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use SSR 3 with pretty good success and only a Meg's polishing pad. SSR 2 is only considered a light cutting compound, and SSR 3 is heavy cut. A cutting pad would only increase it's effectiveness. Careful if you get an orbital, can't use it like it like a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I get one I can go VROOOOOM! I might get a cheapie and play around with it.
    What are some heavy cutting compounds out there? What baout the cheapies (TW I think) at OTC?

Post Thanks / Like
    TW?

http://dano.pocketrubbish.com/detail...oductchart.htm

I don't know what is OTC anymore, never really look at the products too much. I know there is a lot of Meg's floating out there, and they seem to do a good job. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC sometimes can't remove everything. it takes Orbital sometimes.
    *Signature removed by admin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to Ranny (owner of Pakshak) and he doesn't recomend SSR3 via pc. He said it doesn't generate enough heat to break down the compound. I would go with SSR2.5 and apply moderate pressure (not enough to bog the pc down). Were you applying pressure??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I ranged from the pad barely moving (lots of pressure) to slightly flwoing along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstang
    I talked to Ranny (owner of Pakshak) and he doesn't recomend SSR3 via pc. He said it doesn't generate enough heat to break down the compound. I would go with SSR2.5 and apply moderate pressure (not enough to bog the pc down). Were you applying pressure??
    Does Killr have an opinion on this? I'm not doubting you, I am just curious. It worked relatively well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is not a perfect machine when removing swirls, and it is much safer than a circular/rotary. That said in the past I have seen alot of individuals giving up and moving on without giving it a fair shake either.

You are going to need to work, and rework the area. Your going to spend alot of time. You are going to need to be patient. You cannot rush the polish. You must reapply and move down the pad and polish scale from most to least abrasive, step by step. But when you are done .... you will likely NEVER need to work that hard again. WHY ?? Because you will not allow the finish to get so bad.

I would warn that several individuals complain about the rotary also !! I have a Hitachi thats been used 2-3 times max. Sure it has power. But it transfers alot of heat and can easily burn thru clearcoat especially on corners. I would highly suggest one and taking the time and effort to test on panels and other items (like your mailbox) prior. In most cases you just might find a new fondness for the PC also ....

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did, on the hood of Olds Cutlass...
    There weren't scratches, just heavy swirls, and on white not real; easy to see. Got the halo light shining just right (that should be a song title btw).
    Tried light swirl remover on 1/4 hood, blue pad, no luck. Stepped up to green pad, no luck. Added SRR2, no luck. went to opt compound, no luck. I kept redoing the one spot. I spent a good 30-40 minutes just trying half the hood.
    On my Durango when I first did it, it took forever just to work a heavy scratch down, but couldn't get there on this car.
    Only one thing that might affect this I can think of...The car was repainted years ago after it was wrecked and there is still lots of overspray from a poor paintjob. Possibly, swirls, etc were already there (likely), wrecked, repainted over and cleared over the swirls? Make sense? I dunno. Maybe I'll go back to playing geetar, something I'm familiar with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast