autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you use face mask doing detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Note that those white polyester masks shown here will only help you with particulates ... airborne matter like dust, etc.

If you are bothered by smells/fumes from solvents, harsh chemicals, and such, only the masks with the VOC cartridges are going to prevent that problem.
    I won’t disagree with you... However in regards to fumes they do work fairly well.

I used to work in a warehouse dealing with large quantities of herbs & spices, for example just working with plain ground black pepper was unbearable without wearing a mask. Chili peppers etc.. But the plain white masks they provided eliminated nearly all traces of the stong scents. And they were just the plain ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I won’t disagree with you... However in regards to fumes they do work fairly well.

I used to work in a warehouse dealing with large quantities of herbs & spices, for example just working with plain ground black pepper was unbearable without wearing a mask. Chili peppers etc.. But the plain white masks they provided eliminated nearly all traces of the stong scents. And they were just the plain ones.
    I get what you are saying, Ric.

But scents (even strong ones) are quite different than chemical fumes.

At the very least, you need a charcoal layer in the mask for chemicals.

(I used to be as smart as Bob, but didn't wear the appropriate masks around chemicals until it was too late. Now I'm just PaulMys smart........

HEY!! Everything looks like noodles in here!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I get what you are saying, Ric.

But scents (even strong ones) are quite different than chemical fumes.

At the very least, you need a charcoal layer in the mask for chemicals.

(I used to be as smart as Bob, but didn't wear the appropriate masks around chemicals until it was too late. Now I'm just PaulMys smart........

HEY!! Everything looks like noodles in here!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

If you are bothered by smells/fumes from solvents, harsh chemicals, and such, only the masks with the VOC cartridges are going to prevent that problem.
    Yea but he said if we’re bothered by smells...
    If the mask prevents me from being able to smell it, which is what bothers me, then it works for me.Do you use face mask doing detailing?

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m only bothered by the thought of chemicals including SiO2 (the nano-particles I suppose) entering my lungs and causing health issues. Otherwise smells don’t bug me. Am I OK wearing the simpler white masks? Or are the SiO2 particles too small/fine for the cheaper hospital masks or the first one Ric posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m only bothered by the thought of chemicals including SiO2 (the nano-particles I suppose) entering my lungs and causing health issues. Otherwise smells don’t bug me. Am I OK wearing the simpler white masks? Or are the SiO2 particles too small/fine for the cheaper hospital masks or the first one Ric posted.
    From what I’ve read the one Eldo posted is for smells and bigger particles. Sanding paint. The 1st disposable i posted, fenylab sells it for coatings. Suppose to work better on solvents and paint fumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the big bulky ones I got it about three years ago when coatings requests picked up. I remember watching a video on Larry’s YouTube channel Ammo he was wearing one of the fabric ones while doing correction because of the dust and abrasives in the air I’m think that is the real danger breathing in the fine particles. Now if I use spray paint clear 1k for headlights I pull it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a mask for detailing. I grew up working in body shops and any exposure encountered while detailing is child's play when compared to the exposures that exist in a body shop. I'm not saying that they do not exist in the detailing world, but from a relative perspective they are minor.

But then again I'm one of those guys that curse the safety features of most tools and either by-pass, disable, or remove them completely as they typically complicate and/or impede the usage of the tool.

I do a lot of woodworking and still have all my fingers after years of working without the government imposed safety features all tools come with today.

For each, your own personal safety is a matter of what makes sense for you. I'm a bit of a free-spirit and a little rebellious when it comes to others mandating my safety.

I also grew up in a different time... I'm an old guy (67). Safety was never at the forefront like it is today.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    From what I’ve read the one Eldo posted is for smells and bigger particles. Sanding paint. The 1st disposable i posted, fenylab sells it for coatings. Suppose to work better on solvents and paint fumes.
    I stand corrected about the white polyester masks. Back when I researched and bought my mask a few years ago, 3M didn't have a polyester mask for chemical odors, plus I wanted something more substantial to deal with the nasty pesticide (cypermethrin) that I use for the house perimeter treatments. Note: Cypermethrin is nuclear-grade stuff, if you live in a "buggy" area, worry about termites, etc., it's the ticket. Recommended to a friend who lives in AZ who HAD scorpion problems.

Anyhow, here's how to tell the diff between the types of 3M polyester masks - 8511 series (Model #) is for particulates only, while the 8577 series takes care of particulate and "nuisance level" odors.

11. Likes SWETM, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also people sometimes don't think of is the storage of the mask and filters especially when it have been opened up. They put the mask and filters in the detailing cabinet or close to storage or in a garage where the storage is not sealed up. The problem you get now can be more hazardious than if you didn't use the mask at all. As when it's opened up and stored it soaks in the different fumes from the other stored chemicals in the cabinet. If you have a opened sealed chemical product bottle it's mostly to release some fumes. And if you have the cabinet open and some even closed dust particals from other work in the garage can reach the mask and filters. Just something to think of people.

And to be honest this is a pet peave I have when companies don't share the SDS from the products they are selling to both the proffessionals and customer. This is what this is for the Safety Data Sheat. On which PPE you need to be useing for a safe useage of the products. And since most detailing products has hazardious chemicals in them. I don't understand why companies tries to avoid to share the SDS from the products they are selling. Try getting a SDS from some companies and you will notice this. You might want to not use some products as they may need to be used with a lot of pretty expensive PPE products. Sure some is interested to what's in the products but they will only now what hazardious chemicals that's in them. And if it's a propiertery chemical they still must write up the proper safety use of the product. So IMO this is something that's very important to keep up with what the SDS says about the PPE you should use. Also what some don't think of is the storage of chemicals. There are some chemicals that should not be stored together. As it can both get an even worse hazardious fume from it and worst case if used together also a deadly mix of fumes. A worst case is also that a wrong storage can actually make your cabinet explosive. In a garage with low ventilation it can be a disaster. Now the risk is minimal for the extreme. But since we usually stores many chemical products together it could be good to know if we should store them together or not. End of rant LOL

/ Tony

13. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i always wear a mask & nitrile gloves bcuz of my allergies; change them after every car detailed

the blue dust masks like the ones sold at walgreens

i'll have to buy a respirator/gas mask for heavy-duty detailing (polishing & whatever chemicals used)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast