autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you use face mask doing detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

You went from doing 8 hours, to 15+ hours,
    to 20 hours sessions: don't you ever get to
    rest your weary head?

•I'm another one of those people that find that
    face masks, and other respiratory-contaminates
    abatement devices, are not only comfortable to
    wear, but...
    -they also provide comfort; as in: having the
    peace-of-mind that comes with knowing my health
    is being more protected, in both the short and long
    terms, than not wearing the proper PPE.

•I also don't adjust the "rubber bands" so tightly
    that they'd ever "squeeze in the back of my head"...

Bob

8 hour sessions meaning multiple sessions.

I never said 20 hour sessions , I said 8 hour sessions, then I said I'm not going to be comfortable wearing a mask for 20 hours + meaning the accumulated time.

Every paint correction varys Bobarino

Depending on how I'm getting paid and the level of perfection the client is expecting.

Of course if your super human Bob and implying that you polish for 20 hours straight, I however do not. I work in multiple sessions and do like to go home to my family sometimes 😀

And even if you do adjust those oh so comfortable bands, there is still a big face mask hanging on your face for multiple hours, of you sweating and the mask squeezing on your face.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    8 hour sessions meaning multiple sessions.

I never said 20 hour sessions , I said 8 hour sessions, then I said I'm not going to be comfortable wearing a mask for 20 hours + meaning the accumulated time.

Every paint correction varys Bobarino

Depending on how I'm getting paid and the level of perfection the client is expecting.

Of course if your super human Bob and implying that you polish for 20 hours straight, I however do not. I work in multiple sessions and do like to go home to my family sometimes 😀

And even if you do adjust those oh so comfortable bands, there is still a big face mask hanging on your face for multiple hours, of you sweating and the mask squeezing on your face.

-Joe
    Yes, definitely agreed. I tried wearing mask but I end up getting sweat all over it and feeling uncomfortable after few hours. But as Bob said, health is much more important. And I'm gonna get a respirator soon too. I don't want to shorten my life because of detailing. Hahah! 😂

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I bought a respirator mask online not too long ago but it was complete junk... I've been meaning to buy some disposable dust masks, mainly for when I'm cleaning wheels & tires. Are the 3M 8000 particle respirator N95 gas/dust masks good for the task? I'd appreciate the info.
    Deluxe Coating Safety Kit

I assume this should do the job. I'm sure you can find just the respirator for less. I bought this Black Friday.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I wear nitrile gloves for interiors, and ear plugs often for polishing. I recently did an interior with some mold so I picked a good 3M respirator. I wore it for several hours, and it was not bad.
    I now wear reading glasses during alot of the detail (interior, wheels, and doing test spot) so my eyes are covered during the times I could get spray in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Respirator/mask during machine application or hand application, or both?

Post Thanks / Like

I always wear black nitrile gloves, and when I am coating I wear a respirator. When I am steaming anything inside a car, I wear a respirator. If you are using a Tornador you need a respirator. I actually need to start wearing eye protection as well and find a light long sleeve shirt to wear when I am spraying chemicals and cleaning wheels and tires.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI on this matter--
    If any chemicals or application of chemicals by hand or by machine generates any particulate matter then protecting your airways is critically important.

Particulate Matter (PM) includes dust, ash, soot, smoke, aerosols, fumes, mist and condensing vapors.
    And they may originate from a variety of sources. Secondary sources will directly emit air contaminants that help or help form PM.
    PM 10 micron (to give you an idea of how small this PM 10 is, the dot above the letter "i" in a typical newspaper measures about 400 microns) is small enough to be inhaled and gets accumulated in the respiratory system.
    PM 2.5 microns of course are smaller than PM 10 (these tiny particles are about 30 times smaller than the width of a hair on your head) AND they are small enough to get into your bloodstream directly from your lungs.

The short term health effects are eyes, nose irritation; sneezing, runny nose and shortness of breath. It will worsen asthma or heart disease. There are scientific studies that have linked daily exposures to PM 2.5 with increased respiratory and cardiovascular hospital admissions and deaths. Also long term exposure to this fine particulate matter may be associated then increased rates of chronic bronchitis, reduced lung function and increased mortality form lung cancer and heart disease.

EPA has established a National Ambient Air Quality Standard for PM 2.5.
    The 24 hour standard is 35 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

AND thanks for reading this and not falling asleep 😊

PLEASE ALWASY WEAR A RESPIRATORY MASK while sanding, buffing, polishing, using any chemicals (even if they do not contain VOCs) or even while cleaning car interiors.

IMO, all professional detailers here should wear these masks

The forum needs you guys around for a long long time..
    (3M has a huge variety of resp masks)
    (Am not associated with 3M lol)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For years I've never used a mask. Then I bought a Tornador and it creates a chemical fog. So I started to wear a filtered mask... now I go home with no headache or sinus pain.. I don't use it for n polishing as the stuff I use does not dust up... won't work with out one now

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Breathing is a natural part of life. However, when the air you are breathing in is not clean because of airborne particles, smoke, fumes, vapors, and other allergens and contaminant, the whole process turns to be harmful or life-threatening for you. The 3M 8511PB1-A-PS Particulate N95 Mask can be your ally in such a case.

Post Thanks / Like

In most cases I do not use a mask. Always wear gloves but mask only if I feel the car is going to put me into real danger! lol however I am mobile detailer so I am out in the open air so if I was in a shop I think I would and would recommend to anyone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast