autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Long Term Car Care

Does anyone have a vehicle that have kept for a long time or plan to? How do you deal with swirls and scratches that inevitably happen? There is only so much clear coat and you can't polish over a really long time without running the risk of clear coat failure. What do you do to take care of your paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long Term Car Care

You can only do the best you can do. The first thing is to minimize the "swirls and scratches that inevitably happen" by learning and using good wash techniques (which is where most of the damage happens).

Then you want to use the least aggressive methods on swirl correction, and ideally use a coating to provide the most protection for your paint. Of course, don't forget your trim and headlights, which will also need car to survive long-term (trim especially).

Post Thanks / Like

I already use a 2 bucket method and dry with a master blaster. I'm always trying to improve my technique. I've thought about doing a proper correction and coating, but I want this truck to last a long time due to sentimental reasons and I need to preserve clear coat. However, since finding this forum I've wanted swirl free paint so I'm torn on the best option. Live with it or try to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Attached is the pic of my 15 year old VW daily driver. After a major correction polish session, it's all about being in maintenance mode so to speak. More specifically i've gotten into the habit of using AIO when needed, and wash with care/good products - which is key. Use a good soap, good wash mit, good drying microfibers etc.

I also make a habit to use detail spray and spray waxes in between paste applications. Part of the enjoyment of it is trying to keep your daily driver as nice as you can.

ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Term Car Care-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the majority of my swirls were from improper washing technique for the first couple years of ownership. I think I'll get a paint thickness gauge to have a general idea of what I'm working with. Your car looks great ScottH! I'm just curious if performing a correction once and using proper wash techniques and protection will be enough for the life of the truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    I've thought about doing a proper correction and coating, but I want this truck to last a long time due to sentimental reasons and I need to preserve clear coat. However, since finding this forum I've wanted swirl free paint so I'm torn on the best option. Live with it or try to fix it.
    A light polishing isn't going to remove much clear. Arguably you would replace (some of) that thickness with a good coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction to perfection, then a coating such as cquartz, gloss coat, or others not mentioned on this forum, then proper wash methods and correct/recoat every 2 years.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A light polishing isn't going to remove much clear. Arguably you would replace (some of) that thickness with a good coating.

So when polishing after the life of a coating I'd be removing mostly the coating and very little clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    Paint correction to perfection, then a coating such as cquartz, gloss coat, or others not mentioned on this forum, then proper wash methods and correct/recoat every 2 years.

Would you say this would not remove much clear coat after each correction and recoat? I'm interested in trying the Wolfgang coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    Would you say this would not remove much clear coat after each correction and recoat? I'm interested in trying the Wolfgang coating.
    This would be dependent on the level of care taken while washing and the amount of risks you take on a daily basis. Here at AG some of us might consider parking at a Walmart parking lot extremely risky haha. If you can make it 2 years without incurring more damage than can be fixed with M205 on a white or black Hybrid pad then you are hardly removing any more than the coating. I've heard good things about the scratch resistance of the WG coating so that's what I would suggest if you're not looking to go to a professional only coating.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast