autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Garage Heater for MA weather

Okay guys. Looking for advice regarding my home's single car garage that I've finally organized enough to do work in this winter if...I can keep it warm enough. I insulated it this summer, so I should be able to retain some heat this winter. I figured this is the best place to get practical advice.

My goal is to be able to work out there a few hours at a time either after work, or during the weekend. Can anyone offer some specific products for me to research and hopefully purchase this week? Some recommend propane, but I'm having a hard time knowing how big a unit I actually need.

All comments are welcomed. I think that winter in New England is finally coming

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Garage Heater for MA weather

As an additional comment: I am not looking for a permanent mounted unit, but a portable one.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the forced air propane heaters. They are fairly inexpensive and heat up quickly. I just have a small one like in the link in my 1.5 car garage. My garage has a 10' ceiling and isn't insulated, but this heater can still get it warm enough to work in during freezing temperatures. The downside of propane is that you need to leave the garage door cracked open a bit for venting.

Forced Air Propane Heater - 38000 BTU

Post Thanks / Like

i have an insulated 2 car garage and a diesel 70K BTU heater and in 30 minutes I can have the garage at 75 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Kerosene. A 45000 btu unit will keep you nice and warm for 6 hours before needed to be refilled. Mine takes up about 2 feet in the corner and only weighs about 30 lbs so it's easy to move. An advantage with kerosene is you can use it inside your home if the power goes out.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use. This little propane heater puts out some serious heat when both elements are lit:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18.../dp/B0002WRHE8

In 25 degree weather, I can have my two-car garage comfortable in less than a half hour.

You can use one or two of the small 2.5 lb propane tanks or purchase the optional connector hose for use with a 20lb tank. There is a compartment on each side of the heater for the 2.5 lb tanks which makes it easy to move around if you want to. Also has a fan which blows the heated air.

Post Thanks / Like

any of the ventless heaters (propane / kerosene) need a some ventilation. and some people like myself are really sensitive about the smell of kerosene units (gives me instant migrane/nausia) , so before you spend money on a kero unit, ask a friend to lend you one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    This is what I use. This little propane heater puts out some serious heat when both elements are lit:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH18.../dp/B0002WRHE8

In 25 degree weather, I can have my two-car garage comfortable in less than a half hour.

You can use one or two of the small 2.5 lb propane tanks or purchase the optional connector hose for use with a 20lb tank. There is a compartment on each side of the heater for the 2.5 lb tanks which makes it easy to move around if you want to. Also has a fan which blows the heated air.

This is interesting and much smaller a unit than I was thinking of. I see that you are in Michigan where they have some tough winters. If it can do the job, I love the fact that I could actually bring it other places, like camping, etc . Thanks for sharing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In Ma. Kerosene heaters are not allowed for sale you would have to purchase heater and fuel in NH .... I am sensitive to fumes as well affects my asthma...i have a little buddy heater for my shed but cans of propane can be expensive....maybe a pellet stove off of craig list ???

Post Thanks / Like

i have a propane tank, with a 3 burner heater attached.

i use 2 burners to heat up shop initially, then will turn 1 on when needed throughout the day.

i work in a paint booth, which is about 14x25 at least, and this easily heats up to being comfortable in shorts and t-shirt in about 20 minutes.

i expect to use 2 tanks over the winter months, which is about 35-40 bucks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast