autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How should I protect a brand new Harley Motorcycle?

My dad got a new bike for Christmas, he's older and really isn't into detailing much. I'm thinking since his bike brand new, virgin paint etc... should I coat it?

I've never done coats, so basically any recommendations I'd appreciate it. Also should I use anything else anywhere else on the bike? Hoping there is someone here that details bikes, coats them etc.

I was going to use fuzion but it doesn't last that long, looks good tho. That's why I think a coating will be best, as it will protect from grime, scratches and all. I'm going to try to get him to waterless wash too, so again the coating will help keep scratches at bay from that as well. Though as we know the waterless washes and rinseless washes are very good now days.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How should I protect a brand new Harley Motorcycle?

First, what model and color? If its vivid black, coat it right away. Mine is vivid black and it is the softest paint ever. I tried waterless washes and can't do it. Coating it is the best thing you can do in my opinion.
    Also, coat the lower forks. They take a beating and the clear on them don't last. Im getting ready to pull mine off and have them powder coated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    My dad got a new bike for Christmas, he's older and really isn't into detailing much. I'm thinking since his bike brand new, virgin paint etc... should I coat it?

I've never done coats, so basically any recommendations I'd appreciate it. Also should I use anything else anywhere else on the bike? Hoping there is someone here that details bikes, coats them etc.

I was going to use fuzion but it doesn't last that long, looks good tho. That's why I think a coating will be best, as it will protect from grime, scratches and all. I'm going to try to get him to waterless wash too, so again the coating will help keep scratches at bay from that as well. Though as we know the waterless washes and rinseless washes are very good now days.
    I can't verify as my bike has custom paint, but I have been told that Harley paint is soft, so the sooner you can get some protection on it, the better. I have always used waxes/sealants on my bike, but a coating sounds like it could be the right option if your father isn't much into detailing. I would wait for a few others to chime in on their experience with coatings, and then try to take advantage of the current AG sale.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a road glide in Velocity Red Sunglo

Post Thanks / Like

I would coat it. I coated my brothers harley with pinnacle black label. Here's the thread for it.

2004 Harley Davidson VRod

Post Thanks / Like

What about like gloss coat, or the new ceramic from Pinnacle? Those are a little cheaper and seem more, permanent??, than the Black Label, no?

Or even one of CQs coatings? I just need it to be somewhat easy, as I don't wanna screw it up. Lol but who does wanna screw up anyway? Hahha

Post Thanks / Like

I've detailed a couple dozen or so Harley's. They were all matte, black, custom paint or two tone. I'd consider them all to be fairly soft. I've only used PBL coating on a couple since I had plenty of that at the time.

With any coating, you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendation to get the durability claims. I have found PBL to be extremely forgiving. Either way, I think a bike is a good place to start with coatings. Smaller area to work with and easier to look at it from a million angles to be sure any high spots are wiped away.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for more options

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat, Cquartz etc are great. I'd also look into Polish Angel "cosmic". Very easy to use and great look. On sale on Autopia now also.