autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polisher choices? New guy. Rupes Mini?

Hey, crew. I'm researching polishers and have a question. I've got a vehicle that is about one year old. 2014 Toyota Tacoma. Paint is in great condition aside from a few swirls from washing (and I'm now using better teqnique thanks to the forum). Would there be anything wrong with getting the Rupes mini if I'm only working on my own vehicle? I'd probably polish once a year and the rest of the time I would simply use it for applying waxes/sealants. Is it really necessary to step up to something larger with a 6" pad? I don't think I would mind spending that extra time once a year polishing with a smaller pad. And as far as applying waxes/sealants goes, it seems like a 4" would suffice??? After all, that's about the size of Meguires DA drill attachment.

I like the notion of a quieter and smoother tool in the Rupes mini. When choosing between it and, say, the flex or duetto, I like what the mini has to offer. In addition, I could get into to smaller areas. Price isn't really a consideration. I'd like to get a nice tool that I will use for many years.

Is there reason to not go with the mini?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher choices? New guy. Rupes Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    If i'm only working on my own vehicle? I'd probably polish once a year and the rest of the time I would simply use it for applying waxes/sealants. I don't think I would mind spending that extra time once a year polishing with a smaller pad. I'd like to get a nice tool that I will use for many years.
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

versatile with different backing plate and pads...
    i am the jump starter.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't even polish the smallest of cars with a 4". They fine for spot buffing, A&B pillars, lights and bumpers. I have dedicated my weakest polisher(DAS6) with an LC 3.5" BP and LC or Cyclo 4" pads just for that. For an entire vehicle 5" minimum is what I use and thats with the Flex 3401 and LC 4" BP and Hybrid pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

X2 Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

To me whatever you choose: Flex, Rupes, Boss, GG or PC you can't go wrong! AGO sells only products that have been proven.

I just say go with what you feel is best for you...no matter how many people here will give you opinions...I always say you can't go wrong with any of them.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

If you only want to do one car a year and it's you car, I would look into the porter cable sale going on right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boejoula View Post
    If you only want to do one car a year and it's you car, I would look into the porter cable sale going on right now.
    ^^ What he said^^

You can get a PC with 5 pads for $115 right now. That'd be great for just your personal vehicle.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boejoula View Post
    I have it and it is a great little DA. The fact that it's on sale jump on it!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

6" is smaller than it seems, while 3"-4" is tiny. Grab a 4" waxing pad from your local parts store (you know the yellow or blue foam ones). If you don't have wax, soap it up good, and then pretend you are waxing the truck. Do the hood. You will quickly wish you had a 6" pad, and even more, you will really wish you had an electric polisher.

+1 on Porter Cable

Post Thanks / Like

You can pick the GG6 up for about $110 from Advance Auto with an online $40 off coupon--can't beat it for torque and it has a lifetime warranty.

But, you did mention that price wasn't of too much concern and that you were interested in something quieter and smoother--why not consider something like the Griots Boss G15 that uses 5.5" pads and is very vibration free and smooth--also has a lifetime warranty. Of course then you still need something for the tight spaces so you could pick up a Harbor Freight random orbital for under $50 with an online coupon and equip it with a 3" or 3.5" backing plate for the tight spots. It won't be smooth like the G15, but you won't have to use it too much as the G15 does a great job of getting into most spaces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast