autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: modifying D120

Post Thanks / Like

Re: modifying D120

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Both D120 and UQD contain IPA and surfactants.
    [D120 also contains "Trade Secret (T.S.) Conditioners"]

•My only cause of concern would be the
    compatibility...or the incompatibility, if that
    be the case...between the different "type" of
    glycol ethers (Series E/P) in these products.

Bob

In that case I'll just stick to D120 and the occasional use of D114. Thx Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    i have used D120 for a long time. i make it with distilled water, 10:1 as prescribed by the manufacturer. primary uses are INTERIOR glass and we also use it around the house for light cleaning - mirrors, counters, windows, stove, etc. it's so ridiculously cheap, why not.

i generally don't use it on exterior glass; for that i prefer my go to instant detailer: 50% Opti-Clean, 50% OID. i like that the most since i can clean the trim at the same time (particularly on the windscreen) and have less worry about instilling fine scratches, esp. on windows that have piano black trim. it's especially helpful with bugs and stuff.

ANYWAY, i've thought about D120 and i love everything about it except one thing - it doesn't allow the towel to glide on uncoated glass when wiping dry and that can be a pain on certain interior windows. the towel can sort of stick on interior glass if the glass is "squeaky" clean. i love my Glass Master Pro tool, that thing makes life SO much easier on many different types of front/rear glass, but even with it, there is a certain degree of drag with D120 that i wish wasn't there. the towels i use are the Microfiber Madness Cloudbuster or, if that is too thick for certain areas, i'll use the old OPT glass towels. they are super thing and almost abrasive in texture (but aren't).

the solution i've settled on for improving D120 has been adding OID. that was a natural progression since OID is insanely slick and when diluted properly, can be very easy to manage re: streaking. i played with a few different concentrations and i've found ~1/3 of OID made with double the distilled water as prescribed (so, 6:1) and ~2/3 D120 @ 10:1 is the sweet spot. it's just enough OID to allow the towel to glide effortlessly as you buff, but not too much whereas you may end up with some light streaking.

i strongly urge you to try it if you have the materials available. i am a stickler for clean glass and this has been one of the greatest solutions to making life easier in that regard.
    had to come back to this thread to double check my formula to make a new batch and figured i'd post that this stuff has been awesome over the past year. i did a new car prep today on a new Tacoma that had all kinda of crap on the inside of the windows from production (suction cups), decal residue, whatever - used OPC for the tough spots, OPC @ 10:1 everywhere else then final passes were with this concoction and it's such a pleasure. so easy, esp gliding around with a thin cloth on the Glass Master.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

had to come back to this thread to double check my formula to make a new batch and figured i'd post that this stuff has been awesome over the past year. i did a new car prep today on a new Tacoma that had all kinda of crap on the inside of the windows from production (suction cups), decal residue, whatever - used OPC for the tough spots, OPC @ 10:1 everywhere else then final passes were with this concoction and it's such a pleasure. so easy, esp gliding around with a thin cloth on the Glass Master.
    oops, meant to also say that you can do it with wash dilution ONR instead of the D120 but i find the D120 has more "bite" for certain residues that otherwise would definitely need 10:1 OPC prior to the ONR version of this concoction. in today's case, no matter what, i needed OPC involved because these residues were nasty. anyway, whatever works for you.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

oops, meant to also say that you can do it with wash dilution ONR instead of the D120 but i find the D120 has more "bite" for certain residues that otherwise would definitely need 10:1 OPC prior to the ONR version of this concoction. in today's case, no matter what, i needed OPC involved because these residues were nasty. anyway, whatever works for you.
    Glad I saw this, I have a full jug of D120, definitely gonna give it a try. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I've been adding an ounce of D156 (QID) to my D120 spray bottles for over two years now and love the result. Yields streak free glass and a very slick surface that the MF just glides over.

6. Likes builthatch liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123