autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Suggestions on old RV paint? Added on clear coat failure.

Open to suggestions regarding most efficient way to restoring this RV’s paint. I didn’t put this in the RV Forum because it’s pretty dead over there.

RV’s are new to me. A customer asked if I could do his RV. He just wanted a basic wash and wax. Beyond that he wants just the paint to look consistent. He’s very reasonable and says that I am far pickier then he is.

That stated, I’d like to have a SOLID RV “restoration” of sorts in my car/truck only portfolio. Also, the owner of this 1997 Holiday Rambler introduced me to a gentleman who has a brand new 42ft very pricy RV he’s considering hiring me to wash/wax.

So, getting this RV to look the best it can is a test of sorts to my way of thinking.

My issue is that I am not entirely sure what surface I am dealing with. When he first asked me to do the RV I inquired on an RV Forum is anyone knew how it was finished and got the following response:

“My 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 foot had painted aluminum, no clear coat, fiberglass caps were gel coat not painted, decals were decals, not painted on.

I believe that is how all Vacationers of that era were done.”

Sounds good. Here’s the rub. The new owner told me that the previous owner had a clear coat added on. No other details.

The clear coat appears to be in complete failure in some areas and is very inconsistent in others.

On car that’s a wrap for us, but in this case I should be able to clean/polish what’s under the failed clear coat.

The rub is, WHAT do I use and how would you approach this project? Can I clean up what clear coat is there while also polishing the fiberglass that has been exposed using the same pads/product?

I JUST ordered a large bottle of McKee’s RV One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax. “…perfect one-step solution for removing moderate to heavy oxidation to restore the gloss and color of your RV” And more importantly, “One-Step Compound, Polish & Wax can be used to restore the gloss and color on gel coat, fiberglass, and painted surfaces.”

I also ordered 6 new thin, flat Lake County pads (New for 2016) thinking they would give my Porter Cable the most efficient cut/finish. These will compliment the other 10 or so LC Orange flat pads I have.

It’s frustrating because none of the RV/Boat products are listed in the autotopia Polish chart. I am HOPING the One Step Compound, Polish and Wax is at least a 5/6 on the aggressiveness scale.

Regardless, the clear coat finish is in poor shape. My goal is simply “more white/clean and more consistent”. Though, the autogeek in me wants something a notch up.

Thoughts?

OK. So, here are my test areas… On the right there is a 1x1 section or so that was the HD CUT section. It’s the only section with some reflection. To the left of that are the Adapt and XMT Sections…

Here are samples of the finish after a soak in soap with APC cleaner and hand washed/power washed/rinsed with power washer. I was hoping the stains were topical, but even 4:1 APC did nothing. Power washer close up did nothing. The curiosity in me MAY test out the Nanoskin mitt on a section, but I’m not claying the entire RV on this project.

So, there ya have it. Now, here are shots from the back of the RV which is in very good shape…this would be the best I could possibly get it:

YES, a FLEX or shiny new BOSS would be awesome and is in my near future, but I’m working with the PC for now. It is what it is.

What would your process be?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions on old RV paint? Added on clear coat failure.

I edited the above a few times. To make more sense, the section I did the test on happened to have pretty decent clear coat. I didn't test other spotty areas because in the shop under fluorescent lights, I couldn't see how bad the clear coat is in certain sections.

HD CUT would probably work, but I'd rather do a 1 step. I understand it probably isn't realistic but if I can get "more white/clean, consistent" with a 1 step that's the route I'd like to take.

Mike Phillips

Sticking with what you say you havevtobworkbwith I say your good to go.

PC
    McKee's cleaner/wax
    Thin foam pads

Just tackle small section at a time - about 20" x 20".

Overlap into the previous section when starting a new section.

Clean the face of your pads often.

Mike Phillips

Definitely do one step .

The key is not tackling too much real estate at one time or there will be shiny areas and dull or splotchy areas.

Post Thanks / Like

The most part of answering your question would be how much are you getting paid,and the time allowed to make this job beautiful and right,give me those two answers and I can help you.also is the clear faded or not.there are a lot of hacks out there who apply poly glow floor sealer to these.so make sure the owner didn't fall for that bs previously meeting you.Did you wash roof apc will run off the roof and etch the sides,when I do the roof I have the customer keeping the sides wet so etching won't occur.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Definitely do one step .

The key is not tackling too much real estate at one time or there will be shiny areas and dull or splotchy areas.

Yes correct mike I call those highs and lows,that's why I wanted to see if he was getting compensated good for this job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeansDetailing View Post
    I edited the above a few times. To make more sense, the section I did the test on happened to have pretty decent clear coat. I didn't test other spotty areas because in the shop under fluorescent lights, I couldn't see how bad the clear coat is in certain sections.

HD CUT would probably work, but I'd rather do a 1 step. I understand it probably isn't realistic but if I can get "more white/clean, consistent" with a 1 step that's the route I'd like to take.
    I can give you a awesome one step formula that will be easy,but it will cost you some dough from ag.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Mike: Good to have the confidence knowing I'm going in the right direction!

GSKR: I'm no worried about compensation. I'm a part time detailer for now. I agreed to a flat rate which I'm satisfied with. My goal is the most restoration/shine/clean for the time spent.

I'd appreciate that one step formula and so would the other members. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok understand one step it is.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is clear coat your looking at it may not really be that. A few years back a genius found that coating his RV with Red Devil floor wax made it shiny. There were a lot of people jumping on this band wagon.To this day I read the woes of people that did apply it and how it is peeling off.

Dave