autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing microfibers question

I know there are a lot of topics about washing microfibers, but I'm having a tough time trying to not overthink my plan. I just ordered new towels as follows:

-Green for polish/LSP
    -White for interior
    -Grey for QD or IPA wipe down
    -Pink for windows
    -Black for wheels/dirtier jobs

The reason I listed the colors is I'm worried about dye transfer for the first wash and I'm not sure how to wash them for the first time before use. Would you guys recommend washing the black separate or wash all at once? Second question is for washing them after use. I don't want to over complicate and wash them by category, but will they be harmed if I wash them all together? I know this is a rather long post, but I'd appreciate some feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing microfibers question

Most microfibers will neither lint nor display any color-fasting or color-loss. Should they exhibit these behaviors then try washing them manually in a bucket before putting them in a machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd wash them separately the first time because that's when most of the dye transfers. After I'd wash the wheel towels separately from everything else. Definitely don't mix wheel towels with paint towels. Might consider washing glass towels separately too. I gave this a lot of thought too when buying towels. I buy mostly blue towels in different styles so I can wash them together without worrying about color transfer. I also use cheap towels for wheels and tires and just throw them away when they're completely filthy. I also find waffle weave towels to be great for glass and they don't really lint even when washed with other towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'll need to wash the black separate the very first time. I don't believe the black will ever get used for anything extremely dirty and the only thing I'll probably use it on the wheels for is applying a coating once a year. I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possibly, but I don't want to ruin them either.

Post Thanks / Like

1st Wash - Separate by color. After that, wash drying and window towels in one load, wheel towels in one load and then a load of all others.

Post Thanks / Like

I wash all my paint touching microfiber towels with 1 ounce micro rejuvenator detergent concentrate and dry delicate low heat this cycle is 15 minutes.

I wash jamb, interior, and glass microfiber towels with 1 ounce free and clear laundry detergent and dry same cycle. I got this tip when I first begin lurking about the forum. I can`t remember their user name. The towels come out of the dryer feeling exactly like towels washed with micro rejuvenator detergent concentrate like I have the roughest finger tips known to man.

My wheel microfiber get pre-soaked in left over wash bucket liquid, dumped into my rinsed out wheel washing bucket then scrubbed on grit guard like granny used to do with her wash board, then rinsed and washed with 2 ounces of free and clear laundry detergent. I dry them the same way and they come out super clean and they feel the same as the others.

This really works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

For the first 2/3 washes I wash like colors. Most manufacturers say first wash, but nonetheless I do 2/3.

You are washing everything once before you even use them right? Whether or not the towels are dirty, you'll definitely remove 90% of lint by washing them right when you get them.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
    1st Wash - Separate by color. After that, wash drying and window towels in one load, wheel towels in one load and then a load of all others.

First wash usually takes care of any dye transfer. For the most part I'm not worried by it. It's only cosmetic