autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior dashboard scratches

I looked around the forum for this topic and couldn't find anything. So...

I have a dashboard that has some scratches on it from feet on dashboard, etc. Are there any ways to remove the scratches, or at least reduce them without further damaging the dash? I know this seems basic, but do you just have to live with vinyl scratches?

Thanks for any experienced feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior dashboard scratches

It's not clear to me as far as feet scratching the dash.you can apply some sort of dressing to camouflage it or live with it.If it really bothers you buy a dash mat,I personally would live with the scratch before putting one of those covers on .

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe Google a guy in your area that specializes in interior repairs,maybe worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered this as well, but more for door trims / door sills etc which get scratched by feet.

You can probably improve the appearance using something like PlastX, but I don't think you can get rid of them. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

As a side note: If anyone ever tries to put their feet up on one of my cars' dashboards, they will be told to get out and walk! That's a pet peeve of mine! I've even said something to people in other cars about it. As well as the obvious damage it can cause, it just makes you look like a lazy slob IMO (the person with their feet up).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Photos Please

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    I've often wondered this as well, but more for door trims / door sills etc which get scratched by feet.

You can probably improve the appearance using something like PlastX, but I don't think you can get rid of them. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

As a side note: If anyone ever tries to put their feet up on one of my cars' dashboards, they will be told to get out and walk! That's a pet peeve of mine! I've even said something to people in other cars about it. As well as the obvious damage it can cause, it just makes you look like a lazy slob IMO (the person with their feet up).
    There is an even bigger issue of feet on the dashboard than scratches and marring. If there is an accident and the passenger airbag inflates, the passenger will be in a world of hurt as his/her feet/legs are forced backward at odd angles.

Post Thanks / Like

I see feet all over the windshield driving on Florida turnpike ,I ask my self why.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    There is an even bigger issue of feet on the dashboard than scratches and marring. If there is an accident and the passenger airbag inflates, the passenger will be in a world of hurt as his/her feet/legs are forced backward at odd angles.
    Yes, good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

People seem to heat it up and press with something hard. I've never tried it. Actually, I would love to see a video of it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep heat. You have to be VERY careful and start from about 9-12 inches away and go SLOW. The heat sort of melts the scratched area kind of like polishing or wet sanding making it appear less visible.

Ive had about 70% luck with this method. Just like with polishing if the scratch is too big then it wont go away
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast