autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Iron-X really necessary?

After claying, whether or not I use IronX, I intend to polish and then apply BFWD.

Post Thanks / Like

I think clay should be used before, not after. Most of the iron will be out after clay, and the iron X will do a better job removing whatever is left. That's just me, I use the speedy prep towels so I don't have to worry about contaminating the clay...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buff-N-Glo View Post
    I think clay should be used before, not after. Most of the iron will be out after clay, and the iron X will do a better job removing whatever is left. That's just me, I use the speedy prep towels so I don't have to worry about contaminating the clay...

But the more contaminants the Speedy Prep towel sees, the less uses you'll get out of it in the longrun.. I did a rather large test spot on a gnarly, heavily contaminated black SUV this past weekend, and while I could've used the towel, I chose to use the clay instead. I've had a Med Grade towel clunk out on me after just 7 uses before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buff-N-Glo View Post

Neither Iron X or clay bar will do the job 100% on their own. When the fall out removers were acid based your were taught to use the fallout remover first and then use the clay bar. The fallout remover will eat away at the particle, but you can't assume that it will dissolve it 100%. The particle will be reduced in size and now when you clay bar there is a greater chance the clay bar will pull the particle out of the paint instead of shearing it off. That's how FK1 and Valu-Guard taught how to use their acid based ones and the reasoning for doing it in that order.

If you really want to be totally obsessive about it you would use a fallout remover, then clay bar, then apply fallout remover again. I've never gone that far as that stuff is easily the most expensive product that gets used on the car (except for coatings). And a third to half of a clay bar is pretty expensive too. When you think about it you're spending close to $20 per car to decontaminate a car when you add the fall out remover and the clay bar costs. But it would be interesting to see how much bleeding occurs on the second fallout remover application.

Post Thanks / Like

Does using Iron-x harm any protectant on the car such as sealant or wax? If I have CG wheel guard on my wheels and use Iron-x once a month will I need to reapply the wheel guard?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee250 View Post
    Does using Iron-x harm any protectant on the car such as sealant or wax? If I have CG wheel guard on my wheels and use Iron-x once a month will I need to reapply the wheel guard?
    Just curious but why do you use iron x once a month. I got the feeling its something you use once a year. If your keeping the wheels protected with a sealant like product, wheel guard why would there be tons of iron on your wheels every month?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will a solvent do a similar job? I know most big shops around here wipe the car down with a body prep solvent (or some will use an acidic wash), then clay, and then correct the paint. How is IronX or products like it different? I am not doubting the product's abilities as they have been proven time and time again, I'm just wondering how their cleaning method differs from the above methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_K View Post
    Will a solvent do a similar job? I know most big shops around here wipe the car down with a body prep solvent (or some will use an acidic wash), then clay, and then correct the paint. How is IronX or products like it different? I am not doubting the product's abilities as they have been proven time and time again, I'm just wondering how their cleaning method differs from the above methods.
    Iron x pulls all the iron deposits in your paint and pulls them out.

Post Thanks / Like

In answer to your question should you use, Iron-X, I think it depends. Are you doing this as an enthusiast or trying to make a living? As an enthusiast you can spend all kinds of money because it's a hobby that you practice on your own car and maybe a few others- that's me and yes, I use it. If you're a professional working on daily drivers, trying to make a living- I'd say, No, because your customer probably won't care. As a number of people have mentioned, and as Mike Phillips has written on- most people don't know a swirl from a squirrel, they want a shiny car. So, it depends on your situation.- My perspective

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    In answer to your question should you use, Iron-X, I think it depends. Are you doing this as an enthusiast or trying to make a living? As an enthusiast you can spend all kinds of money because it's a hobby that you practice on your own car and maybe a few others- that's me and yes, I use it. If you're a professional working on daily drivers, trying to make a living- I'd say, No, because your customer probably won't care. As a number of people have mentioned, and as Mike Phillips has written on- most people don't know a swirl from a squirrel, they want a shiny car. So, it depends on your situation.- My perspective
    The swirl and a squirrel is one of my favorites !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast