autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removal of inspection stickers inside of windshield?

Hello all,

Want to start by saying how much I love the site. I recently bought a car in Pennsylvania and drove it back home to Atlanta.

The state of Pennsylvania has inspection stickers required to be placed on the inside of the windshields. After some research I bought a plastic razor blade/scraper combo and am having a very hard time getting the sticker off. I soaked the sticker back with a damp towel, but it did not help much. The sticker appears to be a combination of plastic, foil, and a strong adhesive with a paper backing and much of the paper backing has come off and the plastic blade is not catching on the remains of the the sticker. Here is a picture from google images of the same stickers I have on my car.

Are there any products or processes you recommend to safely remove the sticker?? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removal of inspection stickers inside of windshield?

I would lay a towel down on the dash, as not to get any product on the dash.

Since you're working with glass, forget the plastic razors and go with real razor blades. You can get a mounting holder for the razor blade that will make it easy to work with like a scraper.

Gingerly (don't go willy nilly) apply goo be gone to the sticker. Let it dwell for a few minutes then start working it with the razor blade. Repeat as necessary.

Remember to keep the towel or plastic on the dash as to avoid getting the goo be gone on the dash to prevent any discoloration.

Windex will work as well, but Goo Be Gone or goo gone will work better.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always had great success using Stoner Xenit on stubborn stickers. This citrus-based aerosol degreaser will remove just about anything. Saturate the stickers with this product and let it dwell for 10-15 minutes, then scrape off using a metal razor blade. Be careful.

As a precautionary step I would place a few microfiber towels on the dash to protect from over spray.

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the quick replies. Just to be sure, a metal razor blade is safe to use on the inside of the windshield?

Just worried about scratching the glass with the edge of the blade. The glass curves and is not flat under the sticker.

Thanks again.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honais View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies. Just to be sure, a metal razor blade is safe to use on the inside of the windshield?

Just worried about scratching the glass with the edge of the blade. The glass curves and is not flat under the sticker.

Thanks again.
    Unless the glass is tinted, then yes a steel razor is perfectly safe if used properly. If you feel more comfortable with a plastic razor blade that's fine too, it will just take longer.

Let us know how it works out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I would lay a towel down on the dash, as not to get any product on the dash.

Since you're working with glass, forget the plastic razors and go with real razor blades. You can get a mounting holder for the razor blade that will make it easy to work with like a scraper.

Gingerly (don't go willy nilly) apply goo be gone to the sticker. Let it dwell for a few minutes then start working it with the razor blade. Repeat as necessary.

Remember to keep the towel or plastic on the dash as to avoid getting the goo be gone on the dash to prevent any discoloration.

Windex will work as well, but Goo Be Gone or goo gone will work better.
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post

I've always had great success using Stoner Xenit on stubborn stickers. This citrus-based aerosol degreaser will remove just about anything. Saturate the stickers with this product and let it dwell for 10-15 minutes, then scrape off using a metal razor blade. Be careful.

As a precautionary step I would place a few microfiber towels on the dash to protect from over spray.

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Those aren't stickers,there like a combination of paper and foil.good advice on the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Heat outside window on sticker
    Metal razor
    Peel slowly

Post Thanks / Like

I was a New York State auto inspector. I allways used a metal razor blade on a long handled holder and 2 swipes of the sticker and your done . I must have removed at least a 1000 of them that way and never had an issue. It took maybe 5 seconds to remove and 0 chemicals!
    2016 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD PACKAGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast